JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got bored recently (it happens a lot this time of year) and decided to make some Christmas ornaments, so I headed into the woods to collect some fallen pine branches.

Last year, I carved all of these and painted them.
DSCN3950.jpg

While they turned out nice, I didn't feel like spending the time to carve new ones, and the paint has since gone bad, so I came up with another idea this year.

Instead of carving shapes, I simply cut the wood either in slices or halves. Then I sanded the wood, but left the bark as is. I had a sharpie so that's what I used to make the designs. After that I put two coats of polyurethane to help protect the sharpie ink. For the rings that I tie the string onto, I used soldering wire, drilled a hole just big enough to cram it in, and glued it in.
DSCN7569_copy.jpg

So, I gave one to my dad, one to my mom, and one to my grandma, and kept a few for myself.
DSCN7578.jpg

I made some more "generic" ones as well like candy canes, santa hats, and stockings. Seven of them I placed at random spots along the trail in the woods where I originally collected the wood from. I'll see if people take them. I put Twitter hashtags on the back that I will be keeping an eye on to see if anyone shares that they took one. If any are remaining, I'll eventually collect them.

DSCN7581.jpg

DSCN7580.png

This is what I do in winter to keep myself from going crazy. (y)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How neat JB and I remember those from last year that you made and posted. So fun to see if anyone takes them and twits them if that's what you call it.............I have never tweeted even tho my maiden name was Byrd and I married a Wrenn :shame:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
trees sliced make great coasters for under glasses .I wish I had a pic of my shed back in NJ as the whole floor was sliced wood that i laid using wood glue and saw dust to lay it and grout it .Long job but sure was pretty after I put a clear coat over it to seal every thing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my rustic studio I built back in 2005.I used wood for some of the stuff that the mill here throws out for garbage ,you can pick it up for free .I insulated it and drywalled it

Attachments

• flowers and rustic studio 020.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 020.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 210
  • flowers and rustic studio 022.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 022.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 193
  • flowers and rustic studio 027.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 027.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 220
  • flowers and rustic studio 031.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 031.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 251
  • flowers and rustic studio 032.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 032.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 237
  • flowers and rustic studio 035.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 035.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 259
  • flowers and rustic studio 030.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 030.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 230
  • flowers and rustic studio 037.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 037.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 253

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How could I forget to show what I originally made when I came up with this idea? I'm not even sure how I came up with these but I made these wildflower decorations. They turned out so nice that I decided to make ornaments.

DSCN7585.jpg

Ask a Question