Outdoor art work, etc. -- protective top coat

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know that many of you have outdoor art objects, and I'm sure that a lot of it is DIY-type work.

If you have painted & decorated wooden objects, do you apply a protective top coat [I call it a "clear coat"]? Do you use a spray-on product or a brush-on product? What brand do you like best?

I'm not so much concerned with UV protection as I am with overall durability, longevity......

I do a fair amt. of crafts, but most of what I do is for indoor use, and because of the nature of the crafts, I use brush-on.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Knowing you want a clear finish think about using Krylon or Rustoleum gloss or satin clear spray. Clear in a can (for wood surfaces) is available and provides a thicker coat but is generally much more expensive. When using a canned clear make sure it is pure clear. Maggie, the worn paint look is neat unless the object is formal, such as scout sign or emblem. Note that clear finishes must be reapplied with time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only use brush on.Spray does not seem to ever hold up as good

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to penetrate pressure treated i use thompsons water seal and for other wood I use olympic satin watergaurd

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do any of you have metal art that you reseal every year? What do you use for that? I think I used a spray polyurethane last year. Have a piece I bought at craft fair last year, have not put it out yet, want to seal it before it starts to rush. Ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My kids buy me a lot of the resin outdoor decor. It lasts a couple of years than looks like crap. I've repainted with outdoor craft paint, it still does the same thing, fades off. I've tried the clear spray ceramic, it ended up crackling. I have a few metal art things, I actually like the rusting look after a couple of years out in the elements. Short of packing everything up at the end of summer and storing it, which I do for the stuff around the pond, I haven't found anything that will hold up to our winter weather.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use mod podge for out doors on a lot of my smaller stuff and the craft store here sells a good out door sealer that is for every thing

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My kids buy me a lot of the resin outdoor decor. It lasts a couple of years than looks like crap. I've repainted with outdoor craft paint, it still does the same thing, fades off. I've tried the clear spray ceramic, it ended up crackling. I have a few metal art things, I actually like the rusting look after a couple of years out in the elements. Short of packing everything up at the end of summer and storing it, which I do for the stuff around the pond, I haven't found anything that will hold up to our winter weather.
I don't always have good results with my resin decor, either. But some do seem to do better than others -- maybe it's the quality......? Don't know.
to penetrate pressure treated i use thompsons water seal and for other wood I use olympic satin watergaurd
Due to time constraints [IOW, poor planning on my part], I had to go ahead and do something quick. I have a product that I use on my polymer clay projects -- not sure of the official name 'cause I think someone bought the company and it changed names, but in the PC universe, it's called Varathane. I think it's a polyurethane, and it's intended for use on floors and is very durable. I think it's for indoor use, but the items I'm covering, though for outdoors, won't actually remain outdoors. We'll see.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh used it on my floors in NJ but back then it took a long time to cure and harden .Maybe they have changed it to a faster drying time .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use mod podge for out doors on a lot of my smaller stuff and the craft store here sells a good out door sealer that is for every thing
I did use outdoor paints, and sealed the wood with gesso beforehand. It's a Boy Scout, Native American project that was made many, many moons ago. The pieces were showing lots of wear and dulled colors, so one of our leaders tasked me [and another scouter -- we each took 2] with repainting them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FYI, here's what we're working on -- they have to be completed by Friday, which is our OA Spring Fellowship. They are plywood "shields" [about 20" diameter] that will hang on spears, and mark a pathway for a ceremony.

My projects are the ones on the left. Originally, they had hot-glued red felt around the edge. Over time.....tacky. My idea was to drill holes and lace some leather [or faux leather] around the edge. Not only would it look more realistic, but when it gets to the "tacky" stage, it will be easy to take off the material and re-lace it. On the right is what my friend and his son did with one of theirs -- AWESOME! I hope mine turn out looking that nice!
image.jpg

@sissy I get this from a PC company that sells it in 2 oz. bottles. I'd much rather get it this way, than having to buy it in the cans, LOL! It dries pretty fast, and I can re-coat in about 30 minutes [or less, depending on the humidity].
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice indeed Maggie, I just love native American creations like this,
The nearest we have to this in the UK is a company run by Maggie and her husband Nigel Daws :-

http://www.thewoodenkoicompany.com/

If your interested in any of her creations they do export around the world .
All this came about because of their Alsation who used to escape through a hole in a gate , so Nigel cut out a koi shaped piece to fill the hole , someone sugested painting it and the rest they say is history
In answer to your question redone is the way to go

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question