Overdue for an introduction!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi All:

First of all, I would like to say you have a great forum here. My 2 trout ponds are about 15/16 feet deep, and 20 years old. I purchased the 20 acres shortly before that. The property was completely wooded at the time of purchase. I cleared for the 500 foot driveway, and for the house and ponds. I moved away for work over 15 years ago. I was originally going to be gone 2 or 3 months. I only made it back home last year. Probably made 3 or 4 weekend visits a year up here, during that time away. My mom lived here, and looked after the place, while I was away. I am so glad to be back. It's my favorite place on earth. I do want to make improvements to my ponds. I am sure I will have many questions for you guys. (Besides the ones I have already asked. lol) Probably most have already seen pics but, here's some just in case.

Mike

picsoftroutpond006.jpg

augustpicsfromdiningroom001.jpg

august27pond044.jpg

picsoftroutpond008.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your ponds look great. My only suggestion would be for more plant life. Looks so cool with the pines in the background!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard and very nice ponds. I like the natural ponds and OH I wish I could keep trout but to hot for them here. Beautiful place, Looks like you need a couple of pygmy goats to help keep the wood line clean. LOL Of course that comes from someone with to many pygmies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome if you need a bit of a dash of colour added to your pond, then its out with the trout and in with the koi :happy:
You did say you had two ponds didnt you :LOL:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome aboard and very nice ponds. I like the natural ponds and OH I wish I could keep trout but to hot for them here. Beautiful place, Looks like you need a couple of pygmy goats to help keep the wood line clean. LOL Of course that comes from someone with to many pygmies.
lol I started thinning out the woods by the ponds last year. My goal is to have ferns take over. They are like magic, and prevent undergrowth. They are well established out back of the house. Prior to last year, there was virtually no light that hit the ground. It was solid pine needles. Out by the road there was only ten feet of open land left, when I moved back. It had grown up to brush nearly 30 feet tall. I cut it to expose the nicer pines, and planted grass. My mom also has her flowers out there now.

august27pond045.jpg

august27pond046.jpg

My goal is to thin out the center next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The second pond currently contains no fish. They have done well there in the past but, the wildlife is hard on them. Mostly mink and otter. Although Brook Trout is my favorite fish, I think I will get Rainbow Trout. I like the way they boil the water during feeding time. The Brook Trout hit the surface so hard and fast, I never get to see the fish. Most likely I will try to hold off til spring though. I will probably get an aerator for both ponds then too.

Ask a Question