Overwintering Aquatic Plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Any advice for overwintering hardy plants from a Zone 5 container garden? I was told that taking them out of the water and putting them in mulch for the winter would probably be enough.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on what kind of plants they are .If they grow in the ground they will root themselves in and won't come out and if they are water plants they will die .I bring some of mine into the basement for winter and put a small aerator in the stock tank and a LED light set up to give them enough light for the winter .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan do you recommend anything for those of us in warmer climates? Preparing for winter that is?

Those of us on the Gulf Coast really don't need to do anything unless we have some true tropical plants like Ludwegia sedioides (Mosaic plant) which can be overwintered inside.
Other than that my only recommendation would be switching to an Irish Coffee or Hot Buttered Rum while sitting by the pond in January.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
How about corkscrew rush? I added some to the pond this year and LOVE them--they grew like crazy and helped the water quality a lot. Do they need to be trimmed back now/in the spring/sunk to the bottom?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@tee1172 I've been told corkscrew rush is hardy in our zone but I've never successfully overwintered any, either in the pond or bringing it in the garage. I just treat it as an annual. Since it's a marginal plant I'm not sure if lowering it in the pond would work as most marginals prefer the crown of the plant above water. But it's worth a try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Yup. I'll see what happens. If it doesn't grow back, eh, it's just another $10 at the landscaper for another plant. At least I know it's a plant that I had success with this year--it grew surprisingly well for me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine died the first winter :(Second winter I put it in the basement and it was fine and the next winter I forgot them when hubby was in the hospital and they died and I gave up on them

Ask a Question