owls and pond fish

rdk

Reaction score
I saw a TV program the other night about the hunting habits of night owls. It seems they hunt fish in rivers, Do they attack our pond fish like some other birds? Are they a threat? Thank You.

Reaction score
rdk said:
I saw a TV program the other night about the hunting habits of night owls. It seems they hunt fish in rivers, Do they attack our pond fish like some other birds? Are they a threat? Thank You.

Anything is possible so yeah the owls may take fish from your pond if they're desperate enough. It really depends on where you live, do you even have owls in your area.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I lost my sons wife's dog to a Owl 2 winters ago..
Let the little feller out with my pit bull at the farm early one morning and one got it
out there we have lots of big owl
It was a real bad day for every one

Reaction score
DrCase said:
I lost my sons wife's dog to a Owl 2 winters ago..
Let the little feller out with my pit bull at the farm early one morning and one got it
out there we have lots of big owl
It was a real bad day for every one

Wow sorry for your daughter-in-law's loss.:D

Reaction score
We have a woods about 150ft. from our back yard. In this woods live Great Horned Owls. (We are talking owls with 6ft. wing span) We often hear them at night and have even had them roost in a tree in our back yard! Due to this, I never let my dogs out without going out with them and keeping my eyes on the sky. These owls are absolutely silent in flight and are nicknamed "Tigers of the Sky". We have lost several outdoor cats in the past and have assumed the owls got them. Even the little screech owls have been know to attack people if they get too close to the nest.

Reaction score
We have lots and lots of owls around our house and not seen by the pond so, doubt they are much of a threat. Most of what we have is the Barn, Bard, and Great Horned. I do have cooper hawks and they hang out at the pond quite a bit but nothing has come up missing so, I'm guessing its just for water.

When fishing a creek this summer, I startled a Great Horn and he fell out of the tree, into the water and drown in about 1 minute. It all happend so fast there was nothing I could do to help.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
We have lots of great horned owls in our yard and they don't bother my fish. I know they are there because they hoot really loud most nights.

Ask a Question