Petsmart aint that smart , read this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, well, well look who's in the news yet again and for all the wrong reasons I shudder when I hear the Name Petsmart.
This time its a store in the US and is to do with a bag full of goldfish found discarded in a city dumpster :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....in_skip_outside_US_pet_store&utm_content=html

I think you'll agree there is a difference between live and dead goldfish perhaps Pet smart should teach that difference to its staff

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate to see stories like this as they do tend to give a bad name to the companies in general. I can say though that Petsmart has a pretty good grip on employee training programs and caring for their animals. I'm thinking or at least hoping this was an isolated incident.

A few things off the top of my head though about stuff that has happened in the big name pet stores. One was a dog that died on the grooming table because the employee walked away while the dog was tied to it and tried to jump off the table. The second dog was also being groomed and was left in the drying area for so long that it died from over heating (employee supposedly forgot the dog and had clocked out for the day)

And another which I find the most horrifying is a girl who was an employee at a pet store was caught drowning a rabbit in the back room of the store and then held it up for a picture all the while with a big smile on her face. I mean who does that?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Then there was the big scandle about their sourcing of cats and dogs from puppy farms that where from hell they were that bad , dead fish left to rot in tanks and employees who have no idea about fish [weve seen and whitnessed this first hand.:(
They say they have learned their lessons and then you get another incident that totally shoots this down.
I mean come on a bag of dead fish , yet when someone happened across then their where some still alive , sorry but no the first thing they woulkd have done would be to remove any dead fish prior to them going into QT, now sorry but its simple to tell the difference , live fish swim around and breath, dead ones however dont ........

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They had received a bag full of dead fish - that in itself should give them pause, if it's something that happens frequently enough that the automatic response is just to throw the bag away. Gotta try harder than that when you're profiting from the sale of living creatures.

I think some of their employees are genuine pet lovers and enthusiastic about their jobs. Others are just teenagers earning some summer cash. The leadership needs to come from the top, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They had received a bag full of dead fish - that in itself should give them pause, if it's something that happens frequently enough that the automatic response is just to throw the bag away. Gotta try harder than that when you're profiting from the sale of living creatures.

I think some of their employees are genuine pet lovers and enthusiastic about their jobs. Others are just teenagers earning some summer cash. The leadership needs to come from the top, though.
Lisa I have to agree totally with your comment others are just teenagers earning some sumer cash.
Problem is we are all teenagers once many of us highly responsible at the jobs we did especially in the military where not paying attention could get you killed or at least maimed for the rest of your life.
You cant put it down to summer staff as its the managers who have to do the checking if not management then at least senior staff .
Basically its a top down organization interested in one thing "profit" , in the mean time all the small independant pet shops "who really care for their pets in stock".but are around the area where the store is situated start to suffer then go under which is sad .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Totally agree - the management needs to know that customers are interested in quality products AND quality advice as well as good, compassionate care of their livestock. We frequent our local pet store as often as possible as opposed to the big chain type stores, hoping to keep them afloat - (haha! Get it?) Seriously though - shop local. You get much better results and service when you can deal with the owner of the business directly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sadly we no longer have private owned pet shops with aquatics in the area. We used to have two that had aquatics but one closed down while the other discontinued that department completely. We do have three big name pet stores though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We don't have any local, private pet stores anymore either. We do have a chain that was family owner ( until very recently) and their employees are well trained. They have a nice "do it yourself" pet spa also, which we use in the winter. I'd never leave one of my dogs at Pets Mart to be groomer...heard both of those horrible stories :(

Ask a Question