Planning my new pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
After a lot of research finally I've planning to start excavating my new garden pond. Its will be around 180x120cms with 2.5ft of depth.

ZppVtRC.jpg

It will be in north east side of my garden. But what I'm worried about is that there is no tree around it for some good shade during 50 deg C summer. I'm confused if it can survive without shade or it will need some temporary one.

Winters are no problem as in season, the maximum temperature is around 27 deg C and the minimum temperature is around 15 deg C.

Yeah today I have ordered some plants(From aquaswild.com). Don't really know much about aquatic plants but I thought why not try some then read little info about them, ordered the ones which I thought will be nice to plant in a pond
Here is the list:
  • Common Duckweed (Lemna Minor)

• Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes)

• Hydrilla

• ECHINODORUS CORDIFOLIUS (Sharp Leaf)

• Hygrophila Corymbosa (Broad Leaf)

• LUDWIGIA PERENNIS/ GLANDULOSA

• Cabomba caroliniana - green

• Vallisneria americana (gigantea)

• Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'

Here in India garden pond are very rare to see, but aquariums are many so had to chose pond plants from aquarium store. :(
Any suggestion / guidance are most welcome.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you going to have fish in the pond? If no fish, shade may not be something to worry about. But if you will have fish, you might need shade depending on how much your plants will cover the water's surface. Plants can be a source of shade.

Some of the plants you have listed are considered invasive in some areas. That can mean a couple things for you..... They might grow really fast so you'll need to thin them often. And you have to be extra careful that the plants don't accidentally get into your local waters as they can crowd out native water plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Are you going to have fish in the pond? If no fish, shade may not be something to worry about. But if you will have fish, you might need shade depending on how much your plants will cover the water's surface. Plants can be a source of shade.
Fish! Not right now but I will when the plant ecosystem will get well stabilized. As you said 'plants can be source of shade' I can try it by making a cascade in proper direction with some good plants around it.

Some of the plants you have listed are considered invasive in some areas. That can mean a couple things for you..... They might grow really fast so you'll need to thin them often. And you have to be extra careful that the plants don't accidentally get into your local waters as they can crowd out native water plants.
Yeah some plants are considered invasive in almost all part of the world and here in India too, but they don't care much because most of the local water bodies are already clogged with green algae and the nearby river is full of municipal wastewater, so I think even if they invade also they will be a 100 times better than those algae. Actually I was thinking to help them invade.:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Harshit if your going to have fish yes you should treat the water with dechlorinator liquid or save some many and buy in a water filter :-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=67

They will do thousands of gallons before the filters it holds need changing , yes you spend money to start with then make it back over the next year or two .
Weve been using one for the last 5 years and have only had to change the filters in the water filter twice so far :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Harshit,
I am at a loss for ideas as to what to do with ambient temperatures approaching +50 celsius. (-40 or -50C I can cope with :))
Plants may be more forgiving, but I don't know what fish could withstand hot water temperatures unless you have your pond deep enough to protect them from the heat.
I hope you keep us updated as your pond progresses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Harshit,
I am at a loss for ideas as to what to do with ambient temperatures approaching +50 celsius. (-40 or -50C I can cope with :))
Plants may be more forgiving, but I don't know what fish could withstand hot water temperatures unless you have your pond deep enough to protect them from the heat.
I hope you keep us updated as your pond progresses.

Thanks..this could be a great idea. How about making it 3ft deep, and some extra floating plants for shade during summers?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made mine in Phoenix 5 foot deep, with the waterfall and the depth the water it stayed around 85 f 29c our air temp was around 115-120f.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ac in the house, car, work. Go from one ac area to another

Ask a Question