Plant food spikes

Is it safe for the fish and the plants?

• Yes it's safe for both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it's not safe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have a 500 gallon pond with some goldfish and koi. Last year i had water hyacinths and some Lillie's. the hyathinths did really well but the Lillie's never did good and turned yellow. So with the Lillie's now sprouting up i wanted to do something to help it. I was wondering if miracle grow plant food spikes would help the Lillie's and at the same time be safe for the fish. Please help!!!

Reaction score
Here are the spikes if this helps at all. Please I need a reply, if someone knows.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 355

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Honestly, I don't know Paul.

As of second hand, I know there are folk that have used the tomato fertilizer spikes to help their lillies.

For water lillies, I have actually heard of Osmocote slow release plant fertilizer mixed into the pots.

You should give Addy a private message since I know she has done something like this before.

I am pretty sure there are fertilizer spikes specially made for pond plants... I remember seeing these before at a pond store.

Reaction score
Thanks it's just my local pet store didnt have anything like that in stock so ill have to go to a pond store and hopefully find something made for water plants there. It's just that I had the plant spikes and it would have been more convenient.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use the Laguna fertilizer spikes. They have small and large ones. They are for ponds. No problems with the lilies or fish but my fish are getting bigger ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have used the jobes tomatoe fertilizer spikes with no issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I am trying the Osomocote on my lilies this year. I stopped by my local fish hatchery and was told it was safe, but to work it well in the the plant media. I worked it into clay kitty litter and so far, so good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally if we had plants in our koi pond I wouldn't use miricle grow Latterite is used as a tropical plant fertilizer in fish tanks I'm wondering if that may be your way forwards
At least you'll kow its tried and tested :)

Dave

Reaction score
I use tree fertilizer spikes. Lot cheaper. I break them into chunks and stick 3 or 4 chunks in per big pot, so about 1/2 to 3/4 of a spike per plant. That doesn't that's too much or too little, just what works for me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use osmocote put around a 1/4 cup below the kitty litter for the lilies, for the lotus I wrap some osmocote in paper towel to be able to stick it down into the litter without it floating away. I have heard of other using tomato spikes

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Paul
I've used Osmocote, plant spikes, plant tabs and all worked just fine for me in the past. Fish lived through it all :)

Ask a Question