Planting Bags?

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi!

My aquatic soil medium arrives tomorrow. I picked up pebbles and rocks today in anticipation.

What say all you to cloth planting bags with handles and best source.

Also, how are the they raised to the correct height if the plastic crates standing on their sides aren't high enough!

Thank you!
Rona in Beautiful Pacific Grove, Ca. Zone 10

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Rona!
I've used the cloth planting bags - mine did not have handles, though. They are easy to use and do conform nicely to spots that are not necessarily flat or level. The downside, I have found, is they don't last. I've had plants grow right through the sides as the bag deteriorated. Which is fine, but it does make them more difficult to pull out of the pond and I wouldn't use them for anything that I was trying to contain in the pot. One idea I saw was to use cloth shopping bags (similar to the kind you can buy in the grocery store to reuse for example) as plant pots. The fabric is almost the same and they do have handles. Just an idea! I've toyed with the idea of putting handles of some type on my plastic pots to make them easier to lift and move in the spring - haven't figured that out yet, but it's percolating!

I have planting shelves in my pond, so I don't have any experience with using crates for plants. But you do need to find a way to get the pots at the correct level. There are others here who do use underwater crates as plant stands - I'm sure they will chime in.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I meant to add - I've purchased the aquatic planting dirt in the past and found that it was no better than using the dirt I could dig from my own yard. I mix in some gravel and it works great. Plus - free!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a floating plant bag that has a handle on it so you can attach it somewhere outside of the pond to make it stay in one place.

download.jpg

Ask a Question