Platinum Ogon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to start breeding Platinum Ogon, but I need a male and female to start and I can't find any for a good price range! Help anyone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Have you looked on Ebay? I just looked, found them anywhere from $9 (bidding required) to $250! I assume you want the butterfly? If not, the standard fin ones are cheaper. I have bought from Next Day Koi and I think the other dealer is now called Best Koi Direct, on Ebay. They sell a LOT of fish, and if you are looking for a particular type/color/style, you can contact them, see if they have smaller sizes (more in your price range) and they can sometimes post a "BUY IT NOW" fish, but then you have to be quick to snatch it up before someone else does. :) What are you wanting to spend, and what size are you hoping to get for that money? I like buying smaller fish, letting them grow in my pond, but that's just me.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Keep in mind that fish, like all other animals, do not breed true. Breeding a platinum male with a platinum female may produce a couple of platinum offspring,but the majority of the spawn will be of various colors and patterns depending on the genetic background of both the male and the female breeding pair. Be prepared to do a lot of culling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you are looking for that size, and that price range, I'd say you will be able to find something nice. Again, I would do some checking with koi dealers, let them know your plans, and see what they have to offer. You might even find a dealer that can assure you the genetics of the koi they have to sell. The size you are wanting is not necessary to be breeders. Keep in mind the koi you buy this summer (assuming you have your tank up and ready by summer) will not likely spawn this year. It will be their year to adjust to their new surroundings. So, shoot for smaller, let them grow out in your pond. Feed them well, and by next spring, they will be ready to spawn for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The odds on you getting platinum Ogon are quite slim as koi are then you have to physivcally cull the koi are varying stages firstly for deformed fry then as the koi grow other deformaties they will not breed true .
There are 12 differing varieties plus a 13th catch all class of koi that you may get from your breeding attempt and you have to know them all ,then you have to know whats good patern wise etc so its not just a case of putting two koi together and you get platinum Ogon.far from it Jenny
There are folk here who do breed koi that you could talk with @koiguy1969 however is your best bet when it comes to this @CountryEscape, @Meyer Jordan have already helped personally I say this why not let nature take its course and see what koi babies nature wise, then at least you'll have an idea but be prepared to cull allot of babies the average female koi can lay up to and above 50.000 eggs.
You can use MS2222 fish anethetic to do this or Oil of cloves both will send culled babies into a deep and fatal sleep.
Then your going to have to find an outlet for all the survivors

Dave .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry everyone! Keep forgetting to check the forum. I only have one photo because eBay took down the rest after the sale ended. They arrive on tuesday, so I'll add more photos, then.
@CountryEscape that'd be impressive, wouldn't it? haha, no. i bought an aboveground pool for them. i wanted to keep them in a 300 gallon tub for the first week, though, so I can keep a closer eye out for any diseases or parasites.
@Dave 54 they're 6-8" so the genders are just an educated guess

$_57.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
They are gorgeous!! Surely too soon to identify sex, but I hope they are one of each and make you some beautiful babies. :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are gorgeous!! Surely too soon to identify sex, but I hope they are one of each and make you some beautiful babies. :D
Thanks! Fingers crossed that they truly are a male and female. When they're bigger, I'll take them somewhere to be sexed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry everyone! Keep forgetting to check the forum. I only have one photo because eBay took down the rest after the sale ended. They arrive on tuesday, so I'll add more photos, then.
@CountryEscape that'd be impressive, wouldn't it? haha, no. i bought an aboveground pool for them. i wanted to keep them in a 300 gallon tub for the first week, though, so I can keep a closer eye out for any diseases or parasites.
@Dave 54 they're 6-8" so the genders are just an educated guess

View attachment 80232

Jenny you normally cant identify the sex of koi until they get to around about the 12" mark, but you may well be able to tell now.... what you need to do is turn the koi upside down and take a good look at the vent area of your koi .
A female koi has line running top to bottom or head to tail it also has another line running across it at the tail end ....
A male koi just has a simple line running top to bottom head to tail .
However it may well be possible to look at the koi to sex it ....
A female koi tends to be braoder in the shoulder than the male koi and fuller bodied in a cigar shape , where as a male koi is more torpedo shaped than cigar shaped and its fins may well be larger and less rounded at the ends
They normally start breeding 10-12" onwards

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question