Please help me save some fish!

Reaction score
I used to take care of a pond for a woman over the summer when I was too young to have a full time job. Now quite a few years later this woman has become elderly and can no longer care for the huge pond in the back of her house. It has also become a safety concern because she is not as steady as she used to be and could possibly fall into the pond and hurt herself. Her son has taken it upon himself to drain it and fill it in for her. However I am concerned because there are about 30-40 babies that were missed when the bigger fish were taken to her daughters pond. I feel awful because i don't think the guys coming to fill the pond in are going to care about these little fish and will most likely dry the pond out without bothering to try to capture or save any of them. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to catch these fish? Some of them could turn out to be beautiful koi if given the chance. The pond is probably well over 1500 gallons is shaped like a donut with an island in the middle and has shallow and deeper sides to it. With all the rain we have gotten and even though there have been holes punched in the liner to drain it I am sure there is still at least a foot of water in the shallow end and two feet in the deep end. Any help would be greatly appreciated since he is planing on having it filled in next week.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to go catch them. If the water is only 12" deep and the pond is doughnut shaped, block off a place and trap them. Make sure you have a home ready for them that is established.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
$8.00 will buy you a 250 gallon wet set pool.. they are 6' round and 15" deep, and definately fish safe. i kept my fish in one for a while, and when your done with it you roll it up and put it away for emergencies or whatnot.

Ask a Question