Please help

Reaction score
Have 2 fish in quarantine for 2 weeks and were fine until I put a heater in tank last night.came home and its like there skin is feeling from sunburn,I only had the heater set to 72. What should I do they aren't moving around a lot like they were.

Reaction score
here r pics

Attachments

• DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 206
Reaction score
Well I immediately removed the heater and tested water, Ammonia 0,Nitrite 0 ,Ph8,I added some stress coat hoping that would help with there skin .Just checked on them again and they are swimming and peeling skin looks like its disappeared and they don't have the white looking film anymore.I don't understand what happened. They actually looked like they had a white film all over them that was peeling like sunburn,even there eyes looked cloudy. there is what appears to be pieces of skin floating around in the water. Could the heater have done something,? I cant believe it looks like it gone in a matter of an hour and half, they looked like they were dying.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
The heater could be bleeding electric into the water somehow I've seen improperly grounded electrical equipment do a similar thing to corals in reef tanks. What was the water temp before yiu set the heater and what temp did it go to after?

Reaction score
The heater could be bleeding electric into the water somehow I've seen improperly grounded electrical equipment do a similar thing to corals in reef tanks. What was the water temp before yiu set the heater and what temp did it go to after?
The heater was only set to 72 because water was 70 when I put it in .I noticed last night they were staying next to the heater when I went to bed. Didn't look this morning before leaving for work. When I felt the water it didnt feel warm at all. I was thinking the same thing, heater malfunctioned.They seem to be doing better but I am wondering if maybe I should add some aquarium salt to the tank.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
No salt,maybe a 25% water change and keep the stress coat dosed. I think you have a bad heater. 70 f is fine for goldies they really need no heater at all.

Reaction score
No salt,maybe a 25% water change and keep the stress coat dosed. I think you have a bad heater. 70 f is fine for goldies they really need no heater at all.

I will do a water change now and add more Stress Coat to the water.I took the heater back to the store and they asked me if I wanted to exchange it for another,Told them no thanks!

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In all likelihood, what you observed as skin was excess mucous or slime coat that was sloughed off into the water. I would cease any treatments including the slime coat as insufficient mucous production is not an issue. Something irritated these fish. Where had the heater been used before this time? A low voltage short in the heater would be enough to cause what you described.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stress coat isn't hurting anything and is usually therapeutic. Low voltage short has already been diagnosed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My daughter set up an aquarium. Most plug right into the wall outlets. I switched it out for a GFI.
Was there a GFI, or not? If as Meyer said, there was a low voltage leak or ground with no GFI, wah la!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My daughter set up an aquarium. Most plug right into the wall outlets. I switched it out for a GFI.
Was there a GFI, or not? If as Meyer said, there was a low voltage leak or ground with no GFI, wah la!
Good point. With the exception of maybe newer homes, I seriously doubt if many existing houses boast GFIs installed in their inside electrical outlets except possibly the baths.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good point. With the exception of maybe newer homes, I seriously doubt if many existing houses boast GFIs installed in their inside electrical outlets except possibly the baths.

My house was built in '51, but they're all over and updated now. I wonder how many people have ponds without GFI's .... It's a 5 minute deal to put one either in the breaker box circuit or and outlet.

Ask a Question