Plumbing questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got everything I need to plumb my water garden (skimmer, submersible pump, waterfall filter) except for 2 items. I'll be using 2" PVC (mostly flex) for everything. The two items I still need are a check valve (swing) and a union or hose with hose clamp.

I see I can get a combination union/check valve that would be great, but I suspect I don't have enough vertical height in the skimmer for the pump, union/check valve, and elbow to direct water out. Is that other's experience? I assume I will end up with a check valve inside the box, then the elbow and then a way to connect the elbow into my run of Flex PVC. Is a union preferred for this or is a rubber connector with hose clamps adequate? It seems the latter would be easiest.

Reaction score
I have my check valve inside the skimmer box and it's connected with a rubber connector and hose clamps. It is easier to do that way and in the fall very easy to remove the pump and check valve together.

Ask a Question