Points on GPF are being thrown around like manhole covers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not to complain because I genuinely like this forum but why is it sooooooooooo hard to get points? I have 30 points and have been on this about 4 years. In comparison I am on Beer Advocate because I like my stouts and IPA's and have over 200 points in a little over a year. I don't go on it as much and have posted less than 50 times compared to almost 2000 times on GPF but lately i have found it fun to earn points as my likes and posts add up along with my points. To back up my argument right now there are 3 members on GPF logged in. I just checked BA and they have 1060 members logged in right now. Is a beer forum so much more popular than us nuts who love ponds? If you look how they award points it is way easier to get them. For instance first post is 5 points. 5 likes is 10 points, 10 likes is 10 points, 25 likes is 10 points etc. Also much easier to get points for number of posts etc.. Of course we are not on this forum just to win points but it does make it more fun when they stack up. Maybe this sort of change would help. When you look at 1060 to 3 why not try something different?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's away of keeping scope how successful you are. I think most people respond to quantitative measures. Why do you care if your basketball team won by 1 point or a hundred? Why do we care how big our stock portfolio is if we never spend it? People are taught to keep score at an early age. If points are not relative then why award any at all? Points are the best indicator of the value of all your activitiy including likes, # of messages, showcases, photos of the month won,events listed, etc. They are the best overall indication of your contribution to the forum. BA actually uses the exact same software program they do here. They just decided to make it easier to gain points for a variety of things. If you do not think I'm right then why do they have hugely so many more followers? I think earning points adds to the fun. I'm not a kid but I still am very competitive and I'm sure other people are too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh,........until someone cut the antlers off and killed you for them!! No one ever died for having too many cupcakes! There are pluses and minuses for everything. I was just suggesting a way to make the forum more fun and have broader appeal. It is not my right to try to change anything. I feel this was constructive criticism that should be seriously considered. I have owned my own businesses for over 35 years. The only thing I know are that things are constantly changing and if you don't change with them you are out on your ear. There are about 1/2 dozen people on the forum that I hear from on my thread on a regular basis and it is a lot of fun. It would be a lot more fun if there were 60 or 600 people I heard from.....

Right now: 2 members on GPF. 1079 members on BA. Can they be so wrong by making it fun to earn points?

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
[QUOTE="CometKeith, post: 255606, member: 2912"I have 30 points and have been on this about 4 years. In comparison I am on Beer Advocate because I like my stouts and IPA's and have over 200 points in a little over a year. Is a beer forum so much more popular than us nuts who love ponds? If you look how they award points it is way easier to get them.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know points were something that existed on this forum. Anyone know what we get them for? Is it for our icons like prolific poster, 1000 likes, showcased, etc?

And I would say its highly likely that a beer forum is more popular; more people drink beer than own ponds, and in winter fewer people find reasons to post about their pond. Here in Wisconsin, beer is nearly all I hear about, living so close to Miller Brewing Co, among others, and yet somehow I don't drink it.

Maybe GPF points are worth more than beer forum points. Maybe one gpf point is worth 1000 beer forum points! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
bahh.. i only have 60. I havnt write anything for a while though... nothing interesting going on on my end...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze never even noticed points and really does not matter to much as much as the knowledge and the friends on the forum .I really think that is the most important part of this forum .Where are these points any ways

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Of course none of us are on this forum just for points but it is a fun way to be rewarded when your posts, likes, etc add up. Sometime on BA I know if I get one or two more likes or a few more beer reviews I will reach another level where I get more points. It just makes it more fun. So here is a question. Do most people here know about how many likes or posts they have? Have any of you checked the outstanding members tab to see where you are on the list? Points is another way of keeping score of all your activity. It's just that it is so hard to get points on GPF no one notices it. Someone like Addy has only a couple hundred points and she probably has more posts and likes than anyone. If earning points created more interest in GPF wouldn't that be a good thing?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never checked anything just come on to post and read others posts .Never thought much about what is even under my pic until you brought it up .Not sure if that is just me or if others feel the same .I guess it really does not matter to me .:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't even notice the points. I remember when they were first put up and looked then but haven't looked since.

Hey and who said cupcakes never killed anyone? Ask that 800 lb lady who can't get out of her bath tub :happy:

Maybe if we served beer here more people would show up?
Never liked the stuff myself but just sayin

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol way back in college, my "friends" would not allow me to have a piece of pizza until I had a mug of beer. Still do not really care for it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't like beer either but I did try a craft beer one time that was good and I am one who does not drink anymore .But some of those craft beers are good and this one was really good

Ask a Question