Pond Breather / 25% off for Columbus Day @ Foster's and Smith

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I tried a Pond Breather last year, it broke, and I was refunded my money. I'm trying it again this year, in addition to my aerator and de-icer.

Pond products are 25 % off today and orders over $49, qualify for Free Shipping, making my total ( including tax ) $56.03 !! Hopefully the item isn't back ordered as it was last year, but I think this is a darn good deal!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no idea what a pond breather is. Can you explain. Maybe I need one for this winter since I lost all my large Koi and large goldfish last winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I
I bought one last year and never set it up. Maybe I will give it a try this year.

I was so disappointed when mine broke last year. After seeing so many positive reviews on this forum, plus additional reviews on Foster's and Smith website, I decided to try again.

I'd considered covering my pond this winter, as my koi are getting larger...but I've been battling kidney stones - ugh !! I figure my fine mesh net, aerator suspended 12 inches beneath the water's surface, directly under my de-icer and the Pond Breather, should have things covered!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Tula sorry about the kidney stones. I hope you're feeling better soon.

I think using the air stones over top of the de-icer should be fine. Especially if you usr the pond breather too.

Do you know if it's safe to use an aerator on the bottom of the pond during the winter? I bought one the end of this summer and have it in the pond now. Was trying to decide if I should set up the regular air pump and hang the air stones in the pond or leave the new one in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Tula sorry about the kidney stones. I hope you're feeling better soon.

I think using the air stones over top of the de-icer should be fine. Especially if you usr the pond breather too.

Do you know if it's safe to use an aerator on the bottom of the pond during the winter? I bought one the end of this summer and have it in the pond now. Was trying to decide if I should set up the regular air pump and hang the air stones in the pond or leave the new one in?

I have heard to not place air stones on the bottom of the pond , as the warmest water is near the bottom, and the air bubbles create a water column. I put a thick piece of PVC over my pond and wrapped my air stone hoses over it, dropping them into the pond about 12 inches. I then wrapped the cord of my pond de-icer around the PVC, placing it directly above the air stones.

I've read the an aerator alone can still freeze over, so that is why I put my de-icer over the air stones. I read on Dr. Foster's and Smith site they recommend placing the Pond Breather nearer the deeper area of the pond.

We shall see, I'm sure hoping for the best!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's what I had read about the air stones too. I guess I will set the other air pump up and remove the one on the bottom of the pond.

In the past I used four air stones with the de-icer in the same area and it worked great keeping the water open and moving all winter.

I think your plan should work just fine :)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've read the an aerator alone can still freeze over

For the last 10 winters I have used a small aerator, Laguna Aerator PT-1630, to keep a hole in the ice. I put the one air stone 15" down in the water. It would keep a hole open all winter except for a week in February. Then I was out with a pan of hot water opening the hole. That is why I am going to try the pond breather this year. Still trying to decide if I should do both the aerator and the pond breather.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used only the breather, just loss a few fish in the shallow end. They were small and frozen in the ice. It got around 12-18 inches deep

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was wondering if keeping a hole in the ice with the aerator would help the ice melt faster in the spring. The ice around the hole in the ice is never very thick. I have never determined how thick the ice is on the other side of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm running the aerator for added oxygen for my larger koi. I've been attending local koi club meetings and they've discussed that bigger koi need more oxygen in the winter; more than a de-icer can provide with a small opening. I'm reluctant to rely completely on a Pond Breather, as mine broke last year in early winter.....so I want a couple "systems" in place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I was wondering if keeping a hole in the ice with the aerator would help the ice melt faster in the spring. The ice around the hole in the ice is never very thick. I have never determined how thick the ice is on the other side of the pond.

The best way to minimize your ice thickness is to keep the water circulating.
Heat from the earth is the major source of heat for your pond in the winter.

Ask a Question