Pond Build! Upgrading from 400 gallons to 2000 gallons. With Bottom Drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
This harsh winter was very rough on my current 300-400 gallon pond, necessitating a lot of repairs. So I decided to upgrade instead of spending money to fix my smaller pond. This will be a running build thread hopefully updated regularly. I'm hoping to have it mostly finished within a week or so, as I'd really like to get these poor fish out of this cesspool and into something decent.

Here's the sad state of affairs at my old pond:
DSC_0956-XL.jpg

The new pond is roughly a 10' x 12' with a 40" deep end and about 2000 gallons. Here is a general plan for the build:

Pond%20plans%20top%20view.jpg

I'll be able to reuse the rocks, UV filter, and 800gph pump from my old pond. I may also reuse at least some of the green scratchy pads in the current biofilter if they look okay. I'm hoping this will jumpstart the maturation of the new pond biofilter. If they look too funky, I'll use all new ones. I'm upgrading the biofilter from a 15ish gallon tupperware container to a 32 gallon trashcan filter, using green scratchies as filter media. I ordered the liner (45 mil EPDM) and a 2000 gph Laguna Max-Flo pump, and they're scheduled to arrive at my house this Thursday.

Reaction score
This harsh winter was very rough on my current 300-400 gallon pond, necessitating a lot of repairs. So I decided to upgrade instead of spending money to fix my smaller pond. This will be a running build thread hopefully updated regularly. I'm hoping to have it mostly finished within a week or so, as I'd really like to get these poor fish out of this cesspool and into something decent.

Here's the sad state of affairs at my old pond:
DSC_0956-XL.jpg

The new pond is roughly a 10' x 12' with a 40" deep end and about 2000 gallons. Here is a general plan for the build:

I'll be able to reuse the rocks, UV filter, and 800gph pump from my old pond. I may also reuse at least some of the green scratchy pads in the current biofilter if they look okay. I'm hoping this will jumpstart the maturation of the new pond biofilter. If they look too funky, I'll use all new ones. I'm upgrading the biofilter from a 15ish gallon tupperware container to a 32 gallon trashcan filter, using green scratchies as filter media. I ordered the liner (45 mil EPDM) and a 2000 gph Laguna Max-Flo pump, and they're scheduled to arrive at my house this Thursday.

Looking forward to watching the new pond take shape, its similar in size to the pond I want to build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I started digging on Saturday. Fortunately I had two helpers for the hard labor!

DSC_0906-XL.jpg

DSC_0909-XL.jpg

DSC_0926-XL.jpg

DSC_0907-XL.jpg

DSC_0911-XL.jpg

I finished up digging out the main pond that day, but I didn't level it or dig holes for the biofilter, skimmer, or main pump housing.

DSC_0925-XL.jpg

DSC_0917-XL.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I didn't have much time to work on the pond today, so I didn't get a ton done. I leveled the edges of the pond and smoothed out some of the dirt on the back end of the pond to give a gentle slope back into the yard.

DSC_0953-XL.jpg

My cell phone camera really makes the hole look way shallower than it is.

DSC_0954-XL.jpg

Here's the fancy schmancy new biofilter! :woot:

DSC_0957-XL.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to buy the supplies for the bottom drain and hopefully I'll have enough time to get it put together and cemented in place on the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks good. This is about the time I dug out mine originally. The soil is just soft enough.
Looking at that hole makes me want to make mine bigger. Lol. It's a sickness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Are those rocks from underground? and lucky you! I have got no helpers.....I wonder if I can trick my friends into this one.....hmmm.

I'm not sure which rocks you're referring to. The rocks in my old pond were collected from the forest around my area. The pile of rocks by my new pond were from underground. I guess I'll also have to budget in some rock-hunting time now with this pond size upgrade!

Reaction score
I'm not sure which rocks you're referring to. The rocks in my old pond were collected from the forest around my area. The pile of rocks by my new pond were from underground. I guess I'll also have to budget in some rock-hunting time now with this pond size upgrade!

Yeah I was referring to the pile near your new pond, that's a nice find! I sadly have to go rock hunting soon......who would have thought it would be so hard to find rocks? I mean really, like I see one here and one there but like never in a nice little pile lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You will be better off putting the skimmer at the opposite end of the waterfall. The waterfall movement will prevent the skimmer from doing its job 100%. You will achieve a better push / pull effect in the pond this way. Good start to the project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice guys! I hadn't even thought of that. This is only my second pond, and my first pond to have a bottom drain or skimmer. If you guys see anything else that should be done differently, please let me know!

Here are the edited pond plans (since I guess you can't edit a post after a certain amount of time?):

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Also, would a 3" bottom drain work for this size pond? I was planning on going 4", but my pump is only going to be 2000gph, so I'm wondering if 4" would be overkill. Not that the larger size would be bad, but I'm just wondering if the 3" would work well too.

I am considering the smaller 3" drain because I've found a lot more drain choices in this size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that I found satisfactory to use as a bottom drain today. So, I had to order an actual pond bottom drain off of Amazon today. So unfortunately I won't be getting anything done on the pond for a few days.

I went with a 4" drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So I lied about not getting anything done!. Although I didn't actually work on the pond itself, I did get some shopping done. I bought some PVC pipe for the plumbing, some fittings, the underlayment, and two tubs. One tub is going to be used for the skimmer and the other for the pump housing for the bottom drain.

IMG_20140422_195200-XL.jpg

I also scouted out some good places for rocks on my dirt bike today so I could come back with my car and trailer. I made out pretty good. Though I think I'll need to make quite a few more of these rock-hunting expeditions before this pond is done!

DSC_0959-XL.jpg

IMG_20140422_195206-XL.jpg

Ask a Question