Pond chlorine Emergency

Reaction score
I have a 500 gal pond and water level was low so using tap water i filled it up and left the water on over night my mom shut it off in the morning while i was at school but when I came home from school half of my fish were dead and some are dazed. I don't know what to do i need advice fast

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very sorry for your loss but it does not sound like there will be much you can do at this point, the damage is done. All you can do is add the dechlorinator and hope for the best.

Reaction score
As of now 5 out of my 11 fish have died. It's been almost 24 hours of them in this chlorine water. Im just now putting a dechlor in the pond. Two of the living fish are in really bad condition and the other four are looking fine. Hope I wasn't too late. Just wanted to give a few symptoms i see to see if u guys will reconize these behaviors as chlorine poisoning. The two fish in bad condition are laying on there sides heavily breathing and not swimming at all as for the others they are occasionally swimming around but for the most part they stay in one place. I have the water being airagated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As of now 5 out of my 11 fish have died. It's been almost 24 hours of them in this chlorine water. Im just now putting a dechlor in the pond. Two of the living fish are in really bad condition and the other four are looking fine. Hope I wasn't too late. Just wanted to give a few symptoms i see to see if u guys will reconize these behaviors as chlorine poisoning. The two fish in bad condition are laying on there sides heavily breathing and not swimming at all as for the others they are occasionally swimming around but for the most part they stay in one place. I have the water being airagated.
You're doing the best you can, it happens. The symptoms sound correct to me. Best of luck

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Burned their gills. Put a timer on the garden hose, that way you won't overfill or forget to turn it off. Sorry to say it, but they're most likely cat food.

Years back, my youngest son decided to "fill the pond". Killed every Koi I had. He offered to pay, but when he found out that replacements ran anywhere from $300-$500, he quick shied away.

Kids, can't live with them......but if you ever need a kidney..............

Reaction score
Burned their gills. Put a timer on the garden hose, that way you won't overfill or forget to turn it off. Sorry to say it, but they're most likely cat food.

Years back, my youngest son decided to "fill the pond". Killed every Koi I had. He offered to pay, but when he found out that replacements ran anywhere from $300-$500, he quick shied away.

Kids, can't live with them......but if you ever need a kidney..............
Luckily all i had in the pond were a couple of 50 cent goldfish and two 16$ koi. lesson learned for in the future if i ever get some expensive fish. I will defiantly consider the hose timer or i might even just use straight up rain water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you ever fill the pond again w/ tap water just make sure you add the dechlor while filling and do use a timer or stay out there by the pond while filling it and don't leave.
Sorry you lost the fish, it happens but we learn.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So sorry to hear! But it does happen to all of us at some time -- if not chlorine, then something else that we feel really bad about!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use the stove timer and my phone timer. And sometimes I put something on my wrist. I've read about it happening quite a few times now. Sorry for your loss.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss, good thing it wasn't a lot of fish. I had the same experience a number of years ago and lost more then a few fish. I was adding water and totally forgot about the hose. the next morning it was still running. I estimate i dumped around 40lbs of fish that day into the garbage. Ever since then water goes into a 45G plastic barrel first and then is pumped into the ponds. So the worse I can do is run a pump dry. Actually now I have to do it anyway as they have been adding Chloramines to our city water since last year and I have to treat it first.

Good luck

Steve

Reaction score
Thank for all the replies. The 6 fish are still alive and they are doing fine. They are a little dopy but are occasionally swimming around and eating. Theres nothing i can do but hope for the best. From now on ill probably be filling the pond with rain water that is collected in a big tank or just be very careful with the tap water.

Ask a Question