JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So, The other day I found two frogs out, one sitting on a rock and one sitting in the water on the edge. That's with temperatures at 31°F and snow on the ground. One thing that I just recently did was went to a local tractor supply store and bought a pond deicer. Says its good for 50-600 gallon ponds and while my pond is about 800 I decided to give it a try.
DSCN7586.png

Well, somehow it appears to be working too well. We hit 11°F last night and there was no ice on the pond. Thermometer today and found out my pond was 42°F degrees! That sounds fine and all, but around here, its too warm to for frogs to properly hibernate. When I saw no ice on the pond today with temps that cold, I had a feeling it was a temperature thing.

DSCN7587.jpg

Along with my new de-icer, I have my pump going. I'm not sure if maybe the issue is that the pump is just spreading the warm water keeping the entire pond that warm, or the de-icer is just somehow too powerful. That's why I'm here. To see what you all have to say. Right now I have the de icer unplugged and my thought is that maybe I'll just leave it sit in the pond and turn it on when ice takes over to make a whole and then turn it off. It is thermostatically controlled, but obviously its still too much. Any thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a Pond Master de-icer and it's 120 watts....it just keep a hole open in the ice....looks like a red donut. At 1250 watts, I's assumer your is doing more just keeping a hole open.....sounds like the frogs are liking it though:)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a Pond Master de-icer and it's 120 watts....it just keep a hole open in the ice....At 1250 watts, I assume your is doing more just keeping a hole open...

hmm... It seems that way. Odd that it advertises ponds smaller than mine, and has a photo with nothing more than a hole in the ice on the package :facepalm::LOL:

Last year I had one that was 200w I think. It died half way through winter. Must've just been cheaply made.

Now I'm interested to see what @callingcolleen1 says, or anyone else that might plug it in only to open a hole, rather than leaving it plugged in. Also anyone else that might use one with a higher wattage. I'll have no problem plugging it in just to open a hole and unplugging it, as long as there are no problems with it getting frozen. If its not going to work out at least I still have some time to return it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It would be helpful to know what the water temperature was before you used the heater.

It would be, wouldn't it? I didn't have a thermometer in it at the time as it was downstairs with the fish.
Well, it was cold enough that a 2" layer of ice had formed. It melted when he had a few days in the upper 30s and low 40s. Right after that is when I put the heater in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't think the heater would have made that much of a difference. Most of the heat generated by the floating heater will be lost through evaporation. The heater will clear ice directly around itself, but that's it.
The biggest difference would have been from the pump mixing the warmer water temperature from lower levels.
Lower water temperature is minimum 39F below the frost line.
Plus the thermometers we use for our ponds are usually only accurate to +/- 2F

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally if you think it too powerful then take it back to the shop and get it replaced pronto before they say you have had it for two long and all the lowest inline heater we can use in the koi World is a 1kw heater which can be quite expensive to run throughout the winter months .
God knows what your frogs think of this and all the white stuff

Dave

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond water has dropped 3°F since I unplugged it, even with temps back up in the 40°s today.

Personally if you think it too powerful then take it back to the shop and get it replaced pronto before they say you have had it for two long

Well, as long as it works so I can plug it in when I need a hole open it'll be just fine. Might even be better if it means the hole will open quicker. It's a bit of a drive to that store so I'd rather not make the trip if I don't have to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Pond water has dropped 3°F since I unplugged it, even with temps back up in the 40°s today.

Well, as long as it works so I can plug it in when I need a hole open it'll be just fine. Might even be better if it means the hole will open quicker. It's a bit of a drive to that store so I'd rather not make the trip if I don't have to.
Before you say anything it'd be best that you wait until the electric bill comes in this spring before you say that :LOL: it can be quite expensive to heat ponds :(

Dave

Ask a Question