pond filter help

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hi we're planning to move into a new house - and there's a pond - so am planning to revive it - am also doing some changes to it to create a waterfall effect (see attachment - arrows shown in red)

apart from this there is a pit on the right - i thought i could hide garden pump and pond filter there - the only problem i see is that filter will be beneath pond water level

from what i read - i think i need a pressurised filter - since they are capable to pump water at least 1m upwards - but i also read that some believe pressurised filters are a waste of money

am writing in this forum to get your suggestions - so please let me know what you think and best way forward

thanks

Jeff

Attachments

• ponddiagram.jpg
    ponddiagram.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 192

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are there fish in the pond .Yes a lot of us feel a pressurized filter are waste if that is the only filter you use and need back flushed a lot .Reason is that most ponds have to many fish and then you add in the factor of over feeding and no plants to help clean the pond .Pressurized filters with uv's are OK if you have some kind back up filter .Do you happen to know how many gallons and how deep the pond is

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hi thanks for your message

at the moment there are no fish - but once pond is complete i'll introduce some koi and goldfish - i have some lilies as well --
approx the pond handles about 1243 gallons (4704 ltrs) -

thanks once again

Jeff

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi get big fast and are very fussy about water .I wish some one had told me .10 years and 3 bigger ponds later and only 16 original fish and 2 koi around 2 feet long and I know .All babies went to new homes with other ponders .Never kept count of how many babies I have given away but it has to be well over 100 plus .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It looks like that might have been a filter pit, at one point. Many koi keepers have them in dedicated koi ponds. Do you have any information about what equipment was there previously, or if they kept koi?

@sissy , I'm thinking of adding the Tetra Pond trickle filter that Addy posted the other day, as supplemental filtering to my pressurized one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did not see that and may have to take a look back .,was it in addy's pond post

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is a great price also .I saw addy's build and like that as it would work great also as a good bio filter .I built one similar to it from a planter

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So w/that out of pond type trickle filter it would have to be emptied in the freezing winter right? Then in Spring you have to start up the bio process all over again? Would you add some bio start enzymes to give it a head start?

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hi good morning

thanks for the comments - i checked about the pond - but it seems pond was never used - the pit was planned to be like an extra reservoir to circulate water -

a friend of mine suggested installing a sand / gravel filter (installed just behind the waterfall wall)-- what are your views about this

thanks once again and good day

Jeff

Reaction score
Country
Malta
actually if i place the barrel filters in that pit --will it work ?-that would be ideal but the pond water level will be slightly above the barrels - and from the pit (barrels) have to pump water to the back of the waterfall part

thanks once again

Jeff

Ask a Question