pond out of old canoe HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new here and have a question. I'm wanting to build a pond out of a repurposed canoe. The canoe has a small leak, or leaks. I want to know what type of product I can use to just spray and coat the whole inside that will help seal but be safe for the fishies. Thanks! Jeff

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
That's funny, I was just thinking about making a small pond out of an old canoe myself. Mine is an old Coleman canoe that's been down the river too many times and has a few thin spots from scraping over too many rocks.It's made of Polyethylene so finding anything like an epoxy to stick to it well enough to plug a leak for long probably aint gonna happen. Welding is the answer. I have carved small strips of plastic off the edge of the seats and melted them over the cracks and sealed the leaks while on the river. I used a propane bottle with a single burner stove attached for the heat source. It was a crude way to weld, but it worked well enough to get the job done on the river. I still don't have a plastic welder but I was thinking about using a soldering gun for a heat source and welding up any spots that look like they need it. The canoe could still be used for paddling around a lake, but it's river trips are over.

If your canoe is aluminum maybe you could find an epoxy that would seal small pinhole sized leaks. There probably is something that would stick and seal pinholes that you could spray on, like bedliner or some kind of liquid rubber, but I bet it wouldn't be cheap. What is your canoe made of?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I'm new here and have a question. I'm wanting to build a pond out of a repurposed canoe. The canoe has a small leak, or leaks. I want to know what type of product I can use to just spray and coat the whole inside that will help seal but be safe for the fishies. Thanks! Jeff
I suppose that could work in theory but a conoe is kinda small. I would recommend you purchase a surplus battleship and turn that into a pond instead :D (joking) Hopefully someone who knows about this will chime in though. Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They make that spray on rubber stuff, it might work. Get some of the black gutter fix fiber put it over the holes and spray. Or use the pl roofing goop, put it in the hole, put a piece of liner, rubber over it, let it dry.

I fixed a pretty big hole in my 1000 gallon stock tank, someone ie. me , stuck a prong through when moving it with my back hoe. Fixed it around 4 years ago, still holding..... liner pl, tank wall, pl liner.

Fill the canoe mark every leak on the outside, then empty dry and apply stuff to the leaking area.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...e-Roof-and-Flashing-Sealant-1675273/203163733

3b1a9cc2-2fce-4eae-898f-22f38190e4e1_400.jpg

Ask a Question