Pond Paint

Reaction score
Country
United States
Need advise... Building new concrete fish pond. I selected Life Guard paint for the pond, but my contractor, without consulting with me, put a Sherwin-Williams architectural enamel primer, and it trying to convince me that the LG paint will cover the SW completely and will not be toxic to the fish. Should I ask my contractor to remove the primer?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pond Shield.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You should be able to use a marine enamel/urethane/epoxy over this primer. All of the Marine coatings manufactured in the U.S.are 'fish safe'.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My koi club and I learned a lot about these coatings... BTW a primer won't affect the safety of a coating on top. Any 1 to 1 epoxy primer would suffice, just as primer. Epxy primer is not like using epoxy as the actual coating. I've used that Life Guard paint. It all cracked within 2 months. I see photo of Pond shield which my neighbor tried. Worked initially but not enough product per dollar. Also an epoxy is hard & brittle. I also used Rubberizit which also failed within a year. One of my club members used Ultimate Linings which was applied by a professional Spray-Lining applicator crew. That brand is a polyurea. These experiences educated me on "Polyurea" verses cement, gun-nite or any thin layer of coating at all: Hard or thin sealers won't last. I paid crazy bucks, over $23 per sq ft using a Spray-Lining Coatings dealer to go over 1/16th inch thick on verticals & 1/8th thick in bottom. Their stuff Seal Tite has held over 4 years so far. Spray-Lining & Coatings gave me a reference to see- a hatchery of trout done DIY with Seal Tite. Looked fine but I had no confidence then. If I did it again I'd use their DIY.

Attachments

• my-fish-pond.jpg
    my-fish-pond.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 363
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My koi club and I learned a lot about these coatings... BTW a primer won't affect the safety of a coating on top. Any 1 to 1 epoxy primer would suffice, just as primer. Epxy primer is not like using epoxy as the actual coating. I've used that Life Guard paint. It all cracked within 2 months. I see photo of Pond shield which my neighbor tried. Worked initially but not enough product per dollar. Also an epoxy is hard & brittle. I also used Rubberizit which also failed within a year. One of my club members used Ultimate Linings which was applied by a professional Spray-Lining applicator crew. That brand is a polyurea. These experiences educated me on "Polyurea" verses cement, gun-nite or any thin layer of coating at all: Hard or thin sealers won't last. I paid crazy bucks, over $23 per sq ft using a Spray-Lining Coatings dealer to go over 1/16th inch thick on verticals & 1/8th thick in bottom. Their stuff Seal Tite has held over 4 years so far. Spray-Lining & Coatings gave me a reference to see- a hatchery of trout done DIY with Seal Tite. Looked fine but I had no confidence then. If I did it again I'd use their DIY.

Not on topic.. But a beautiful view.

Ask a Question