Pond size

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How big should a pond be if we want to eventually add Koi?
Would we need a bigger filter?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read 1000 gallons per koi keep in mind a fish 2 foot if not larger. And you need very good filtration, they are fussy about their water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have koi just going by what I read. I stuck with goldfish, love their colors and ease of care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've read varying articles about how many gallons per koi. I think you need at least a 1000 gallon pond for the first koi. I've been vigilant about re homing fry and my maintenance isn't easy...koi produce waste!!! I had five at one time, but gave one to a neighbor...I still long for a chagoi or butterfly koi, but know I'd need to part with one I already have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Alice. Keeping Koi is not necessarily what it is cracked up to be. If you are a beginner you are much better off sticking with goldfish and see how it goes. I have just goldfish and they were chasing each other like crazy tonight because they are starting to spawn. Goldfish can be a lot of fun to watch. It's not like watching a goldfish in a bowl. Also I have frogs and lot of interesting plants wildlife that visits my pond and that would be harder with a Koi pond. Goldfish will exhibit a lot of interesting behaviour in a pond. i would say if you have less than 1000 gallons not to consider Koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 koi are over 2 feet long and now 5000 gallon pond and 2 filters ,2 pumps and one aerator .I wish someone back then had warned me but now I am stuck .I think the best fish are those little fat fan tails they are slow and very friendly and like to hand feed if you train them from the start and they don't get huge and mine just love to swim into your hand to get belly rubs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I started with comets and shubunkin, later adding koi. Of course their was spawning and the pond rapidly became over stocked. I made the decision to remove the gravel from my pond and give all my fish, except my koi, to a gold fish sanctuary. I've also rehiomed all koi fry. It's also been work to "koi proof" my plants. I love my koi, but do not recommend you begin with them.

Ask a Question