Pond under construction, I think I need a civil engineer !!!!

Reaction score
Pond is above ground, a square made out of 4x4x8' ACQ treated lumber. I'm going 10 high with the 4x4's. I'm lagging them in with 3/8 x 6" hot dipped lags countersunk with washers. I'm torquing them in by hand after pre-drilling for the shank and threads. How many lags do you think I need on every length?

My wrist is ready to snap LOL HELP

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would say three, stay away from the ends, but a lot of your support will come from the corners. Make sure you have good support there. We glued and screwed ours, but only 4 boards high, 10 foot long, on the new pond, on the deck.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What kind of support are you doing on the corners? Going 10 high with that kind of weight from the water would concern me. Are you doing any other kind of supports along the sides as well like posts into the ground?

To make it easier to screw the lags in take a bar of soap and rub it around the lags this might make it a little easier. Also if you are using a socket wrench take a hollow bar that has some strength to it and is about 3' long, slide it over the socket wrench and use it for leverage. I did this when putting up my arbor and it saved my arm, wrist, elbow etc.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DaneDad said:
yeah I'm screwed,blued, and tattooed

I'm hurting for sure. Sucks to get old

I'm using PL adhesive between each course as well.

laughing we did the same and ours is a small wall.

Good idea about the soap tmann

Reaction score
Supposedly soap causes the lags to corrode, really need to use beeswax , but you know I'm using soap LOL

I was going to put 5/8 re-bar in the corners but nixed that idea. The 6 inch lags hopefully will hold. I have two diagonally opposite each other in each corner.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think you will be ok, we used long screws, glue and you can not even wiggle the thing. Screwed the corners together also.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I dont think you need an engineer, I think you some some power tools. After about two 6 inch lags I'd be dragging the air hose and impact out to the yard.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lmao.............yep we have the air and impact wrench out...........saving these hands to move more rocks

Ask a Question