pond water turning milky colour

Reaction score
I have a 250 litre pond which was set up on thursday of last week we added 3 goldfish on saturday and then 10 baby goldfish and 2 koi on sunday then left till wednesday when we added 1 more goldfish then on thursday we noticed the pond water was turning cloudy/murcy so we went out and bought a fish mate filter and added it then friday I did a water test and my nitrite and ammonia were showing high so I phoned my local garden centre where the pet superviser pointed me in the direction of a sachet which had "say goodbye to new pond syndrome (NPS)" so I put that in my filter as directed and I got up yesterday morning and the pond water was very cloudy asif someone had put milk in the water so I had a look at my filter with U.V and the filter pad had lots of rubbish on it.

So could anyone help me out on what the cloudiness/milky colour could be and also should I clean my filter pad
Thanks ccoad1999

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Exactly as shakaho has pointed out. If your local garden store sold all those fish for a new pond they are horrible and should be taken to task. It takes a few months for a new pond to cycle properly so the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate cycle starts to work. Until then you should have at the most a few small fish and probably not much more than that with the small size pond you have. Get rid of as many fish as you can right now if you want any to live. The cloudiness is probably a residue of pavers, stone, sand, mortar etc. that is close to the pond that is finding it way in. The sides of your pond should be raised so rainwater doesn't flow into it.

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the fast reply I got my fish from maidenhead aquatics at bold heat and when questioning about if there would be to many they said it would be ok so what should I do with my fish and also there is no building material around my pond and the pond is raised a couple of inches of the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Being older we work in gallons what is your pond in gallons please as I think you may be overstocked somewhat .
we dont have that number in our own 1.000 gallon pond and ours are all koi
You may have to get rid of quite a few fish to get down to the correct amount of fish for your pond .
It's an easy mistake to make first time out.
Another thing please what filtration are you running ?
rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Is that 54 gallons .992 or 54,992 if it is 54 stop what your doing get rid of all but two or three fish because that is way to small for 16 fish.
That would be a disaster waiting to happen I'm affraid and there is nothing more of putting to a novice keeper than loosing fish.
Have a good read up about our subject and start again, koi can reach 3ft and if looked after propperly can reach 80 years old , goldfish though much smaller than koi have a life span of 40 years if correctly looked after.
I've emailed you could you please read and reply then we can get started.
Then rethink your pond get a large hole dug and but a buttyl liner and start ajain making sure you have 1,000 gallons plus .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question