Pondcare Ecofix Water Clarity & Algae Control... any experience?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 4k gallon pond that i've done battle with for the last few months. No chemicals, only barley straw which has kept the string algae at bay for the most part. Recently though we've been in a heat wave here in So cal and the string algae is making a comeback despite my barley straw. The other issue i'm having, now that I don't have any fish in the pond is sludge. I'm noticing about a half inch layer of brown sludge on the bottom.

Again, no fish, no plants in the pond. Looking for the most cost effective way to help with both the string algae and the sludge and I cam across this: Pondcare 147C Ecofix water clarity and Algae control. So theoretically this should help with both the string algea and sludge right?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pondcare-147C-1-Gallon-Ecofix-Water-Clarity-and-Algae-Control/21783863

Anyone with experience using this product?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As with any algaecide or sludge buster product, even if they give the advertised results, the nutrients that originally precipitated the problem(s) remain in the water column to create future issues.
A complete clean-out is the only semi-permanent solution. Current water restrictions in your state may make this difficult or impossible but it is the only long lasting remedy.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@MD56 Yeah, "theoretically", it should help with both the string algae and sludge, except I would not hold high expectations, but you really need something to keep the water fresh or attempt to control what is allowed to thrive in the pond. I have also seen significant water movement and aeration also deter string algae outbreaks.

"Fresh" as in having plants or water changes creating a nutrient life cycle within your pond so that the nutrients will be displaced. This nutrient displacement occurs by either trimming the growth of the plants as they grow and depositing these trimmings elsewhere or outright using "old water out, new water in" water change approach to displace the nutrients. When using "sludge buster" bacterial products, the nutrient displacement transfers into bacteria storage, but, as the bacteria decompose, then their storage is broken and these nutrients release back into the water, unless the bacteria become eaten by something else except still this something else has to eventually decompose. A third nutrient displacement option could be to add an absorbent material that stores these nutrients so then you can remove this material out of the water to be placed elsewhere, which all I really know of is zeolite or activated carbon and both of these only do a mediocre job at best for only particular nutrients/compounds.

Your algaecide basically is a chemical that attempts to control what is allowed to thrive in the pond. Algaecides can be either selective or non-selective herbicides or microbicides: "selective" has a specific target; "non-selective" views everything as its target. As your barley straw decomposes, as theory goes so far as I remember, the decomposition byproducts actually creates either a selective or non-selective microbicides, which I can't remember which since been a while since I read about this..

I think the most cost effective approach is to use some invasive water plants, while being sure to trim these back when needed.

If water is cheap in your area and you know of someone with access to a strong pond vacuum, then use a hefty pond vacuum to remove most, if not all, of the muck and a rake-like tool to fish out the string algae. The displacement of water from vacuuming should be a good enough water change of removing the old water.

@MD56 Since what you are describing, that is a pond without fish nor plants, is not very natural, then this will likely involve more elbow grease or investment in a product to resolve your problem.

I am sorry for the lack of a more direct solution, but I hope that helps. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What about increasing basic aeration and water circulation in order to allow bacteria to naturally break down the sludge buildup?
Keep harvesting the string algae, as that will export excess nutrients , such as phosphorus.
As long as you are not adding any food to the pond, the nutrient level for algae will eventually decrease.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very concise @MitchM. I like it. (y)

I think the most cost effective approach is to use some invasive water plants, while being sure to trim these back when needed.
Keep harvesting the string algae, as that will export excess nutrients , such as phosphorus.
As long as you are not adding any food to the pond, the nutrient level for algae will eventually decrease.

String algae is definitely the cheapest invasive water plant there is!! :)

What about increasing basic aeration and water circulation in order to allow bacteria to naturally break down the sludge buildup?

Excellent. (y)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads