Poorly goldfish

kaz

Reaction score
Hi , newbie here looking for some advice :)

I think our goldfish could have a possible infection or some sort but I'm not to sure ?? Couple of days ago we noticed one of our comets had a bad side . It almost look bubbled ?? We fetched him out of the pond and it went down to something just looked like a flap of skin . Although I am concerned it could be a possible bacterial infection ?? And now one of the other comets has a very small bump on its side .

Are we best to remove the fish and treat ? As it's a home made pond of a funny shape and different depths so we've no idea how much it holds .

Here is the best picture I could get of the fish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 327

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
kaz
Sorry I can't help you on what that is on your fish. Someone here more specialized in disease may be of help to you. It could be just a wound it got from running into something during spawning. Have you noticed any chasing going on?

kaz

Reaction score
Thank you. I can't say I have but I'm not sure ?

Also here are pictures of the other fish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Looks like ulceration I just treated this on some of my goldfish a few months ago. First you must test your water parameters. Then separate the fish with open wounds or sores. Apply anti bacterial fish cream to areas at least once a day and feed anti bacterial food. Feed fish in the pond medicated food as well. This may be a secondary infection so keep a close eye for any other symptoms. Maybe a large water change in the pond as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not ulceration Ponder it looks as the first has damged two scales but they didnt fall of and are stuck up at an odd angle the other n=might have been damage but is on the mend

Dave

kaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies . The first one , when it's in the water it almost Sticks out like a bubble ? But once out the water it's just looks like a skin flap . If it's just a general wound what cause it ?? Spawning ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When they spawn things can get rough and the males will sometimes chase the females so bad that the females will try to hide or get away and they can crash up against rocks, plastic edges etc. and injure themselves. And fish also make mistakes just like us. They might miscalculate a jump or a fast turn and get an owie. I'd watch it and see what it does. If it gets better than no problem but if worse then you may have to try some kind of meds. Don't ask me what kind tho. Ask Dave54 he has some good books on that if you can get a good clear closeup of what might be going on. Some also do skin scrapes and put under a microscope to see what might be there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thans j.w. your going to have to remove the two that are sticking out but your going to either have to get the vet to do it for you or attempt it yourself after aenethatizing it .
Then stem the bleeding with one of those sticks you use when shaving , it wll corterize the wound thus stopping the bleeding then your going to have to put the guy into a QT tank with filtration till you can be sure the wounds have healed I'm affraid

Dave

kaz

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies , the fish are currently in quarantine with daily water changes and some salt . The flappy part on the worst fish fell off itself . But I can't decide whether it's looking better or not , but i don't think it's any worse .

All the other fish appear to be ok so just keeping a close eye at the moment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the replies , the fish are currently in quarantine with daily water changes and some salt . The flappy part on the worst fish fell off itself . But I can't decide whether it's looking better or not , but i don't think it's any worse .

All the other fish appear to be ok so just keeping a close eye at the moment
If its fallen off then you could put the little fella in the pond again , how is the other one please ?

Dave

kaz

Reaction score
If its fallen off then you could put the little fella in the pond again , how is the other one please ?

Dave
Slightly improved on one side

Here they are currently

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 347
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your doing a good job what you are seeing the the goldfish healing it may look nasty but its not , if you want keep them QT'd for a few more days

Dave

Ask a Question