power cost for my waterfall pump

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hey guys, new pond waterfall combo and of course I'm doing my research after the fact. I have a 12 amp pump running water uphill about 10' 24/7. Haven't gotten a power bill yet but I'm trying to figure out how much this is costing me. Is there a formula I can apply? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Just want to mention that it isn't advisable to run a waterfall on a timer. Of course, you might just be joking. But if you weren't, there are a few reasons why many people suggest against it. For one, if you have a filter at the top of the fall, or anywhere n that line for that matter, the off on cycle can cause debris in the filter to become unsetteled and flow back into the pond. Not always, but sometimes. Also, the benificial bacteria that live along the path of the water fall will die if they dry out. These bacteria are critical in the conversion of toxic ammonia and nitrite into much less toxic nitrate. Another reason is that the pump and waterfall are circulating the water and adding oxygen to it. You want to keep the water well circulated and highly aerated for the fish health, and because the bacteria I mentioned earlier function best at high levels of dissolved oxygen. Sure, turning the pump on for half an hour and off for half an hour or something like that won't be catastrophic, but I still suggest against it unless you have a smaller pump moving the water. The thing I would really suggest against is running it all day and turning it off at night. Plants create oxygen during the day but the use it up at night. Combine that and no water circulation and you could be looking at low oxygen levels , which can kill fish. I'm not saying one night of the pump off will cause them to die, I'm just saying fish can die from low levels of dissolved oxygen.

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Very informative. I actually wasn't joking but the waterfall pump is only a pump. No filter on it. I have a separate pump that is much more efficient circulating water and equipped with bio filter etc. Essentially the only thing the big pump does is move the water up the hill. I just recently introduced the bacteria into the pond and the fish seem healthy enough to maintain if the bacteria in the stream area can't make it. I hope this will work because my bill calculated to about $170/month which is out of control.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I run my stream on a timer, around 75 to 100 feet of head pressure. I picked up a small clear water pump from harbor freight, 1 hp, I run it 3 times a day during the summer. The pond has its own pump that runs 24/7

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cool.That's what I'm planning on. Love the water feature but if I can cut the bill in half and not pay for it while I'm sleeping, I'll sleep better at night.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Either that is a very inefficient waterfall pump or the electrical rates in Washington are astronomical. I have run 2 waterfall pumps simultaneously 24/7/365 for 10 years and combined they cost me about $50 a month. What is the wattage on your pump?

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I believe it's 12Amp 200V. Seattle power is $0.098/kWh. I think I calculated correctly. I'm getting the specs from the installer but that's what he thought it was. The only reason it doesn't have a filter is because it was originally intended to just be a water feature not a koi pond. I converted it after the fact.

Reaction score
Very informative. I actually wasn't joking but the waterfall pump is only a pump. No filter on it. I have a separate pump that is much more efficient circulating water and equipped with bio filter etc. Essentially the only thing the big pump does is move the water up the hill. I just recently introduced the bacteria into the pond and the fish seem healthy enough to maintain if the bacteria in the stream area can't make it. I hope this will work because my bill calculated to about $170/month which is out of control.
Those bacteria didn't happen to come out of a sealed air tight bottle did they?

Reaction score
My electricity is about $0.45 KW - crazy right! I have not noticed a change in my bill running my pump and UV 24/7 and if someone should notice, it would be me! LOL!

I don't think they use that much power. My pump moves 2200GPH.

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Uh oh, yes they did. Did I blow it? The water is pretty clear and the fish are happy...

Reaction score
I've run many, many different pumps on ponds at different heights and distances.

Have 2 - 1.5 hp pool pumps running on a large water feature I finished not long ago and the electric bill Is not insane.

Run the pump 24/7/365 .....

Just ran all the 110 / 220 power today for this Natural Swimming Pool.... 1.5 hp Pump pushing the Waterfall and Bog ..... Landscape Lights ... Jacuzzi Hot Tub ....

I can see power being expensive here....

coolio.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I believe it's 12Amp 200V. Seattle power is $0.098/kWh. I think I calculated correctly. I'm getting the specs from the installer but that's what he thought it was. The only reason it doesn't have a filter is because it was originally intended to just be a water feature not a koi pond. I converted it after the fact.

Wattage = Amps x Volts.

Your pump is very inefficient in electricity use. My 2 pumps together pull less than 8 Amps combined. I suggest that you switch to a high efficiency pump. It will pay for itself in less than a year.

Ask a Question