problems problems!

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
What started as an attempt to get some overgrown plants out of the stream ended up involving the tractor and now a complete redo of the stream. Then to top it all off, had a heron cruise over this morning. Luckily, I was out with the dogs and kept it away but I fear that is not the last we see of it.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks I just ordered a floating alligator head. Hopefully the yelling I did this morning will keep her away long enough for it to arrive.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found all the yelling in the world and fake critters stuck in the pond didn't help keep that bird away. I resorted to the high netting and am at peace now :)

Reaction score
My dog likes to sit outside near the pond 2-3 hours at a time. I think that has helped deter the heron that lives about a mile down the road in a large road side pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck, the net is the only thing that has kept the heron away.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have had my pond for over 5 years and I have never had a problem even though we are in the flight path between two ponds. It would be hard to net my pond soI hope we can scare him off.

Reaction score
Good luck. I've had a heck of a time with a heron. He eventually died in a strange accident, I think our dog chased him and he flew into a chain link fence and died.

BUT a new heron showed up some weeks back, at first he was timid, but I guess he's gotten a few good meals off me and now he's more aggressive.

I put my new net up tonight. Bit of a mess! But it was done in a hurry under darkness and mosquitoes. I will neaten it up tomorrow. I already caught him STANDING on top of the net, which we thought he wouldn't do. I need to find a way to tighten it up, but sections of my pond is 18 feet across ...... thinking I will have to put some rope or wire across, so the net will lay on that. Hoping it won't look too unattractive.

The GOOD news is, the net I bought is basically invisible. Love it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With the fishing net I used, I wove a rope through the weave around the edges of the net, the width and length of the pond. The rope made it possible to pull the net tight between the fencing stakes I have it attached to. Also makes it easy to lift it off and raise or lower to work on the pond.

Not sure if that will help you or not with the type of net you have.

net.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had my pond for over 5 years and I have never had a problem even though we are in the flight path between two ponds
It took the heron(s) two years to find mine. We have them fly over almost every morning and evening, you can even see them pause in flight and look down. After they found it, it took two years of trying different things to finally keep them away. The only thing that has worked consistently is my large weave net hung 3 feet or so above the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Priscilla I think since the heron you have visiting now has had a taste of your fish he might be harder to ward away from your net. If you can strengthen it to hold that birds weight he will get tired of trying to stand on it and once he figures he can't get your fish he will come less and less. Where is your camera? We want to see what he's up to. The more we learn about them the more we can protect our fish against them.
I did my net the way addy did w/the rope all the way woven around the sides of the netting and it's up high about 4ft so even if the bird ever tried standing on it he still can't reach down to the fish.
IMG_5315.JPG

Reaction score
Good luck. I've had a heck of a time with a heron. He eventually died in a strange accident, I think our dog chased him and he flew into a chain link fence and died.

BUT a new heron showed up some weeks back, at first he was timid, but I guess he's gotten a few good meals off me and now he's more aggressive.

I put my new net up tonight. Bit of a mess! But it was done in a hurry under darkness and mosquitoes. I will neaten it up tomorrow. I already caught him STANDING on top of the net, which we thought he wouldn't do. I need to find a way to tighten it up, but sections of my pond is 18 feet across ...... thinking I will have to put some rope or wire across, so the net will lay on that. Hoping it won't look too unattractive.

The GOOD news is, the net I bought is basically invisible. Love it!
I had to laugh about your strange accident. That's what I might have to come up with if a heron attacks!!

Ask a Question