Programmable pump timer

dfx

Reaction score
Hi,

I am unable to find a timer for my pump that can do this simple thing : Switch on for a given amount of time then stay off for a given amount of time.

I have a well in my garden that I am using to top up my pond or refill when I empty it. Depending on how the weather has been, I need to limit the time that the pump is on and the time it is off. For example, to be safe, I will set it to pump for 5 minutes, then stay off for 10 minutes. This is so that the well does not run dry. I had a timer, but I needed to set the times of each day of the week.

All I want is it to go on and off with a set number of minutes on and a set number off.

Anyone know how to acheive this simple task?

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a irrigation controller for watering the garden and the pond. Real easy to set up a program to run for just x amount of time. Not battery, but electrical. We are on a well also, during the summer I add around 30 minutes of water a day to the pond. And if I do not have it auto, I forget to turn the sucker off. I think it will do four cycles in a day.

dfx

Reaction score
Thanks I had a quick look but all I see are programmable controllers that control the water flow. I need one that switches the pump on and off.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi,

I am unable to find a timer for my pump that can do this simple thing : Switch on for a given amount of time then stay off for a given amount of time.

Look for the kind used for Christmas lights. You plug the pump into it and plug it into the outlet. You can set them to turn on any time and off any time. I'm not sure where to look for them in stores this time of year but I am certain they carry them year round. At Christmas time they can always be found in the Christmas outdoor lights section.

The one I had looks similar to this but they sell different kinds.
th.jpg

dfx

Reaction score
Thanks I don't think this would meet my needs. I think it would have to be digital. Today for example, I would set it to pump for 5 minutes every 15 so I could get the maximum out of my well without running dry. If we'd had a lot of rain I might change to pump for 8 minutes out of 15 or it had been very dry I'd set it to 2 out of 15.

Reaction score
We need a new pump for our 1500 gal koi pond! The quiet1one 14000HH quit after 5 years! I forget how to post a new message on this site! Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Have a great day!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry dfx, translated your needs in my brain wrong. I use the timer to turn on the water from the faucet to the pond, which in turn turns on the well pump. You can set it for just a minute to more if need be. I do that ow the sucker will be left on forever. lol

Ask a Question