Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
morewater submitted a new Showcase Item:

Follow-up to "Just joined"

This pond is roughly 14ft long by roughly 9ft wide, with the deepest point being 3.5ft.

It was dug using a Kubota front end loader/backhoe. We took out (3) 20yard bins of material and put in roughly 50 tons of material. The excavation was lined with carpet that I dumpster-dived at a local flooring centre prior to the liner being placed in the hole. There are two filters behind the waterfall (made from 40gal barrels containing filter mats, the water being channelled into the bottom of the barrels and then rising to the (4) 2" outlets on each of the filter barrels. Each barrel is fed by its own pump.

This was a wet area of the backyard, so my thought when I wanted to "fix" that area was, why not just make it wetter? Hence the pond.

From there, I just kept going until there was no more grass anywhere. I hate grass. Grass is for golfing on.

The kitchen was an afterthought. BBQ once in the rain, and you need a roof, once you put on a roof, you should have a counter, once you have a counter, you need a sink, when you BBQ you need a beer, hence the fridge, steaks take a long time and you need tunes, hence the stereo, sometimes it gets chilly, hence the infrared heater.....it goes on and on really.

I've had the same pair of mallards living in the backyard (for about a month each spring) for the past couple of years. They just walk around like they own the place. Chipmunks are residents. Love birds (except herons).

Here are a few more images. Location is Newmarket, Ontario.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fabulous pond and property you have there mw. Love the ducks swimming in there,just hope they don't make too big a mess for ya

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
They only hang around for a month or so. We've named them Tony and Carmella.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe they will make a little family there one of these days. How cute would that be :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
LoL I had to google it and now I get it too....................ducks, swim pool yada, yada, yada...................it's been awhile since I watched that show.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Lovely pond and landscaping! Neat that you get to enjoy your "visitors" for a month. Wonder where they go when they leave. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful! Love my kubota used the same to dig our pond. I would love to have some ducks in our pond, mallards come now and then, but with the anti heron netting high over the pond they can't land in it now.

Ask a Question