pump Brand

Reaction score
all,
yall are great help! thanks.

i'm looking at buying a Beckett 5000gph pump to run skimmer and supply filter & waterfall (using pvc and ball valves). it is much cheaper than others at that pump volume per hr.

has anyone heard if this pump lasts for years? it comes with a 2year warranty.

Thx,
r

Reaction score
Am not a fan of that brand or these big box store pumps, personally, but there are folks that say they've lasted years.

Be sure to look at what the power consumption is on these pumps and compare. The pump may look cheap to buy, but will eat you out of house and home in elecricity.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont use them, but Dr. Dave swears by becketts pumps. i use TetraPond... they come with a 3 year warranty. and i started ponding with them,not knowing there was much of a difference between pumps. but they have proven themselves strong and reliable. Dr.Case uses a laguna 4200 gph that only draws 160 watts, i believe.

Reaction score
yes, laguna's are great. Very little power comsumption. I had one for 3 years before I switched to an external. Pondmasters have decent power consumption too.

WHat I do before buying a pump is compare the energy usage side by side. It's a big deciding factor for me.

For example, when i bought my Sequence, it had the same power consumption as my Laguna (but had close to twice the power drive). There were other pumps that were $100 bucks less, but when I compared the power consumption it was through the roof. So, tho I paid $100 more upfront, I woulod have spent close to $800 more PER YEAR buying the other pump. So, it was a no brainer.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The nice thing about Beckett pumps from Home Depot is they exchange them, no questions asked if they go bad in the warrantee period. Your time starts all over again. You don't have to ship or haggle, just present your receipt at returns.

Reaction score
Birdnest.com has some great deals on pumps right now. a 5500gph is selling for $155, including shipping.
Dr. Dave - i see home depot sells beckett pumps but 3500gph range. that is a good idea. i exchanged a pitch fork, while digging the pond, with no problems.

Reaction score
roscogruen said:
Birdnest.com has some great deals on pumps right now. a 5500gph is selling for $155, including shipping.
When I go to birdnest.com, it led me to a water data company. Is this the right one?

Reaction score
roscogruen said:
sorry, it is bestnest.com. ooops
Thanks. I found it.
It looks good, price and flow-wise. How it's power consumption is on the high side. For the same flow rate, other brands consumes around 250-280 watts vs. this one's 460 watts.

Reaction score
twinclouds,
what pump would you recommend or have you found that is inexpensive and efficient? I'd prefer not to buy from petsmart and that is who sells laguna that everyone speaks of. at least they are the only ones besides a very expensive fish store here in town. i found one for 4400gph that costs $499 and uses only 195Watts. still, too much for pump. that is my total budget.
i just scored 22'x22' of HDPE for $180. having it here will make me dig faster!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has a Laguna knock of that is 3200GPH for about $120. I have used one for several years 24/7. They even offer unconditional replacement warrantees for several years.

Reaction score
yeah, the pond will be close to 4,000 gallons. i'm trying to find the 4200 model's spec's to determine if it will pump at least close to 4,000 gph at 6'. i only see the max flow and max height of 14'. what is flow rate at 6'?
any help is great! ahhh, Harbor freight won't be open until the morning and i'm busy all day.
where did everyone get their laguna pump?

Reaction score
Dr. Dave,
have you looked at your power consumption? i called harbor freight. not sure if it is the same ones, but the beckett pumps use insane amounts of electricity and HF sells a HydroStar 3700gph that uses 900W but for only $63.

Ask a Question