Pump efficiency

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have read so much my eyes hurt lol. Submersible vs external, power usage numbers, calculations. Any chance there is a member who wants to throw a rough estimate on what it costs to run a 3k gallon an hour submersible pump. I realize different areas have different kilowatt hour rates etc, is it gonna break my bank is what I'm wondering. Or is an external so much cheaper I need to look that direction. I just wanna dig :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Just went by a friends house today, 2000 gallon pond. One submersible for the waterfall and one submersible pump for uv, he said he doesn't really notice a big jump in his utility bill, anybody else have a comment in submersibles good/bad and their approx energy usage?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 4 Laguna pumps , They are all easy on the watts they use

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have 4 Laguna pumps , They are all easy on the watts they use

Ok that's good to hear! I realize my bill is gonna go up and totally worth the price in my opinion, I just didn't want a jaw dropping experience if I went submersible. I'm so excited :) plan on turning my 2500 gallons over about 1 1/2 times an hour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my opinion I think it's easy to underestimate electric costs for things like ponds. I know my electric bills vary greatly, especially in the summer depending on a/c use. This makes it hard for me to really know exactly what something costs to run. There are sites (Margo gave a link) to calculate energy use and cost. You can also use a kilowatts after the fact to know how much juice something uses. I was surprised to find out my 55 gal aquarium costs $8 per month. That made me pay close attention to energy use when I built my pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 laguna pumps and one is 2900 gph and uses 85 watts after it hit it's sweet spot ,it is rated to up to 100 watts .The 2400 gph uses 55 watts but just put new hose on it today and it is using 40 watts now .Seems the bigger the hose is the less watts it uses .I bought all of mine on ebay with 4 year warranty ,one from webbs and one from country fish girl with free shipping .I had a harbor freight one that was 2150 gph before and used 175 watts .I am now using 1 1/2 inch hoses .I am going to change the 2900 gph to 2 inch hose to see if the watts goes lower

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have 3 laguna pumps and one is 2900 gph and uses 85 watts after it hit it's sweet spot ,it is rated to up to 100 watts .The 2400 gph uses 55 watts but just put new hose on it today and it is using 40 watts now .Seems the bigger the hose is the less watts it uses .I bought all of mine on ebay with 4 year warranty ,one from webbs and one from country fish girl with free shipping .I had a harbor freight one that was 2150 gph before and used 175 watts .I am now using 1 1/2 inch hoses .I am going to change the 2900 gph to 2 inch hose to see if the watts goes lower

Sissy, any idea what it approximately costs you to run those pumps monthly?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep I have all my stuff registered through my electric company so I can go online to see if there are any energy spikes . pumps are using around 1.67 a month at least last time I looked .Thing is I am not sure if the uv's were running at that time .I just checked whole pond usage and not each item

Ask a Question