Pump size for 100 gallon skippy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Title about says it all; any other hints are appreciated as the site doesn't appear to address this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 2900 gph and extra water is just goes to my waterfall pond .I made a splitter up myself .I think it is better to have more pump than not enough .My other filter has a 2400 gph and extra water just goes in to pond .It really helps aerate the pond water

Attachments

• pond parts 011.JPG
    pond parts 011.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 308
  • pond 2014 008.JPG
    pond 2014 008.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 309
  • waterfall spitters 003.JPG
    waterfall spitters 003.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 315
  • waterfall spitters 004.JPG
    waterfall spitters 004.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 322
  • waterfall spitters 009.JPG
    waterfall spitters 009.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 251
  • waterfall spitters 012.JPG
    waterfall spitters 012.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 282
  • waterfall spitters 007.JPG
    waterfall spitters 007.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 254
  • waterfall spitters 005.JPG
    waterfall spitters 005.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 291

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always use 2 pumps nothing worse than your one and only pump going out and rushing out to try and find a new one or order one and have to wait for it to come .Here the only place to get pumps is lowes or an hour away to NC

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm currently running a 3500 gph submerged in a skimmer, plumbed to an Aquascape bio falls filter. I've added an extra fines pad to the falls, and to the skimmer. Do I really need to add a skippy filter? I'm considering it because the water is always discolored.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Throw a small bag of Activated Charcoal into either the skimmer or BioFalls. Should remove any discoloration from the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, but I currently have 4/1# bags in there now, plus two barley bags. We've had a ton of rain this year, and every time I start making progress, it craps up again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rain really messes with the water and not much you can really do until the rain goes away for awhile .But then you get the 90 degree temps .so not really a win win .I add liquid barley and peat to my pond with all this rain

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm currently running a 3500 gph submerged in a skimmer, plumbed to an Aquascape bio falls filter. I've added an extra fines pad to the falls, and to the skimmer. Do I really need to add a skippy filter? I'm considering it because the water is always discolored.

Is the water tea-colored? That would be from tannins, and as Meyer said, activated charcoal is best for that. How fresh are your bags that you have in there now, and do you have them where water will flow through them? Most people don't know this, but AC has a limited life -- and it can't be re-charged. Once it's done its job, you have to replace it. How often, I guess depends on how much it's having to bind with [or whatever chemically-thing it does].

A Skippy is just another type of bio-filter, so while the extra filtration never hurts, it won't help with tea-colored water.

Now that I've said all that......I should ask, what color IS your water?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks, but I currently have 4/1# bags in there now, plus two barley bags. We've had a ton of rain this year, and every time I start making progress, it craps up again.

Four 1 lb. bags is a lot of Activated Charcoal plus it ain't cheap. That much AC is enough to clear a pond much, much larger than yours. Sorry, but I do not understand. It does not compute.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know, that's what is so frustrating. I wish I could provide a better picture, but I don't have a polarized filter for the camera.
image.jpg

Ask a Question