Question About Spring Temperature Swings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The temperatures here in Northeast, Indiana are supposed to drop into the very low 30s on Tuesday of this week, and it looks like the low temperatures are going to be in the low-to-mid 30s all the way through Saturday. The highs will be right around 50 degrees. I have already started feeding the Koi since the water temp is around 60 degrees. My question is: Should I turn off the pumps? I'm worried that the 4000 GPH flowing down the waterfall will cause a drastic water temp. drop. What do you guys normally do? This is my first spring with having my koi pond, so I would appreciate input. Thanks,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You will be fine keeping everything going, you may notice your fish moving more slowly which will be normal. I may cut back or hold off on feeding all together until the temps come up a bit. I am moving 6500gph and have similar temp swings and never had issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same here. It takes a string of cold days in affect the water temperature significantly, especially if it's cool but still sunny. Our water temps have steadily gone up even thought the nights have been cool or even downright cold.

We haven't started feeding our koi yet. We let them work to clean up the algae first, so generally don't start feeding until early May. Plus we've seen a fair share of spawning activity lately - we're hoping hungry fish will take care of any eggs that might result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You will be fine keeping everything going, you may notice your fish moving more slowly which will be normal. I may cut back or hold off on feeding all together until the temps come up a bit. I am moving 6800gph and have similar temp swings and never had issues.
Thanks for the help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Due to my large surface of water because of the bog my pond swings in temperature, it was 68 a few days ago, warm sunny. Now going back down, cold and rain coming. I just leave it run.

Ask a Question