Re-potting pond plant

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
While trying to upright a fallen tall pond plant the rootball and some soil stuck to it came of its original light weight pot. My plan is to recruit wifey to assist in its repotting into a heavy clay pot using Auquasoil. Btw, whatever soil is used must be purchased.

Does anyone have a problem with Scott's Aquasoil or the use of a sturdy fired glazed clay pot. As I stated earlier the plant is tall so apt to falling over in a strong wind.

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't know about the soil but whenever I put plants into those regular orange clay pots they always dry out too fast. Maybe the glazed ones are different? If they dry out also you could first plant the plant in a plastic pot and then stick it in the pretty glazed one. First lets see if anyone knows if the glazed ones dry out like the regular ones do tho.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a glazed pot in my preform pond up front as a fountain. No problem with it but it does have to be kept from freezing. I have used the soil before but now go soil-free. You can use chunks of foam to hold the plant in place or even lava rock.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Silly me I my brain wasn't thinking of the pot in water.................ha ha ha how can it dry out in the water

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used regular clay pots (no glaze) in my pond (and aquariums) with regular topsoil for live plants. I also put a layer of aquarium gravel over the top to help keep the dirt in the pot and not in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've always purchased aqua soil, until this year. I tried cheap CLAY kitty litter, works fine. I do wet it prior to submerging it, to reduce the dust plume when it hits the water....which I also needed to do with aqua soil.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I had my water lilies in the pots w/ the kitty litter I always added fertilizer. Guess it would depend on what kind of plant you have and if it needs the fertilizer. I would think yes since you don't have any big fertilizer making fish in your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've used the time release Osmocote and plant sticks for tomatoes and also the kind for trees broken up. They don't hurt the fish either and they do make the plants grow good.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can wrap the Osmocote in a little bit of a paper towel and cram it down into the pots so it won't float away up out of the pot when adding it to already submerged pots. Also you can add a little ball of steel wool shoved down in the pot to give extra iron to prevent yellowing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
They told me at the fish hatchery that I could use Osmocote, but to sure and work it into the kitty litter well, so it didn't float to the top. I did just that, and my lilies have been blooming well this year.

Ask a Question