Red Worms...

Reaction score
Hi! Just opening our pond today and there are hundreds of tiny red worms in the sponges of the skippy filter. Are they okay to be in there? Do you know if the fish can eat them? Can they be fed to Angelfish?
Thanks everyone! Can't wait to read what I missed all Winter!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
blood worms...theyre midge fly larvae....your fish will gobble them up!.....you can buy them frozen or freezedried as fish food!
where ya been woman? thought we lost ya! lol
WELCOME BACK!!

Reaction score
LOL!!! I picked up a new hobby in the Winter!! Angelfish! How has everyone been?? Did you put your Koi back outside yet? We sure did have a mild Winter. I could see my Koi all Winter long. The red slider turtle I put in last Spring made it through just fine, too.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
glad to hear everything went well for ya. no i havent moved my guys outside yet...another month probably. hows all your fry doing? we had a real mild winter too. but i'm still glad my guys were inside for it. gonna post my fry for sale on craigslist real soon. what ya goona do with yours? did you trade them for angelfish? lol lets see some pond pics....

Reaction score
I sold a few and gave some away last Fall. The rest are in the pond and they're fine! Every Spring I'm so amazed at how much the Koi grow and this Spring is no different! So, about the worms, will they be in the skippy filter all the time now? I just fed some to my Angels and they loved them!
As far as pictures go.....the pond looks like crap right now!! LOL I'll put pictures up when it looks better. I still have to finish topping off the trim on the top of the bog and get some more rocks to go around the skippy filter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yum blood worms! I think if they are in the filter now they will continue to like it in there and the flies will lay more midge eggs. Don't know if they continually lay all Spring/Summer or if they have a season of it and then done. Sometimes you can see them in boggy, muddy areas out in the wild. My pond looks pretty ragged also this time of year. Can't wait till the weather warms up and things start growing and blooming.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome back! All my plants are growing like crazy it has been so warm.

Reaction score
I'm starting to see things happen in the new bog as well. I planted everything so late in the Fall that I didn't get a chance to enjoy any of the plants. I can't wait to start feeding the Koi and Theodore the turtle!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Lucky you! I know our aquarium fish LOVE bloodworms, but I've never seen any in my pond. However last year I did see a curious worm that was about 1/4 to 3/8" in length, and appeared to have a sucker on its tail, so it would stick itself to the rocks and wave its head around. I had tons of them around the waterfall, so the fish must have loved it as the worms got washed down into the pond.

Unofrtunately I've seen some mosquito larvae in my lower pond this week, but my fish have really started getting active, and I've seen a couple make it to the lower pond already... hopefully they'll be making short work of the larvae as we don't need more mosquitoes!

Reaction score
I'm sure they will take care of the mosquito larvae for you! I got into Angelfish during the Winter and they are starting to pair off now. Prior to breeding, I'm told that a hearty blood worm diet will do wonders for them! So, I'm off to see if I can harvest some more to feed my first pair. I'm looking forward to the nice warm weather and 'playing' with my pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Angel Fish are so graceful and pretty! They will love you forever for giving them those luscious worms. Nice to see you here and have fun playing w/ your pond :D

stpatsworm.gif

Ask a Question