Replacing blown UV transformer struggle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have bit of a problem here. I'm trying to replace a blown transformer for the UV light section of my pressure filter, but the old one doesn't give me the VA ratting that I think I need (fairly new to all this) and I could really use some help!
I've attached a photo of the blown transformer that has all the information I'm working from on it, if you lovely people could give me any pointers, it'd be greatly appreciated!

OK, didn't realise the photo would be so small. It says - JUVC-18 AC 220-240v 50Hz 18W 0.37A tw105 (little triangle symbol) t60 IP44.

Attachments

• 18w.transformer.jpg
    18w.transformer.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 340
Reaction score
I"m not sure what you mean by the va rating. What you have is a 220 volt 50 hz 18 watt transformer. The bulb you want to use should be a low pressure UV lamp. High pressure ones are cheaper but are not as good unless you want to do your nails with it. The light they emit is wrong for clearing up algae. I don't now whether you can use a transformer designed for high pressure with low pressure but I suspect that you could.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
A VA in DC is the same as a watt. So 18 watts is 18 VA. So thats the max the power supply can supply. Nothing wrong with one with a higher VA rating. You just need to match the voltage exactly so it does not go poof and let out the magic smoke.
This is not the same with AC.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Jebao products are basically disposable, use until they break, and then toss them. I carried their pond lights ten years ago.... NEVER AGAIN! Over half the transformers were defective, right out of the box. :mad:
John

Ask a Question