repotting lotus

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 hardy lotus plants in large tubs that are way too heavy to lift. When is the best time to repot them? Should I do it in the fall or wait till spring? Also any tips on repotting them would be appreciated.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait if they are already large. They are just going to be bigger and heavier in the spring. I re-pot water plants all year long. You could make a sling and use a long 4x4 to leverage it out of your pond.

I just took out a large planter today that was bursting its sides and cut it into 12 plants. I transplated some and others will be available for folks who need them.

Reaction score
I alway's thought you had to wait for the lotus to go dormant before repotting them ?
Just wondering.....

bonnie

Reaction score
lotuslover said:
I alway's thought you had to wait for the lotus to go dormant before repotting them ?
Just wondering.....

bonnie
You should ALWAYS wait till spring to replant lotus. They go dormant in the late fall and by spring time all there is left are tubers buried in the bottom of the pot.then you should gently dig them up and re-pot using fresh soil or compost and and your favorite fertilizer.
I prefer osmocote, some people like those spikes or pond tabs but either way they need extra fertilizer unless you are growing them in a natural mud-bottomed pond

Reaction score
Well, I don't have a natural mud-bottom pond. So, what would another soil option. (can you plant therm in just rocks)
Also, I have a pot that is 12" high and 15" round and my lotus seems to be smoothering. I have heart of cat litter pans being used. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
My experience is that they need the soil and the fertilizer. You can try them in just rocks or kitty litter but I don't think they will get enough nutrients from that.
Lotus are extremely heavy feeders and the best way to get them to thrive and bloom is in a container without holes, plenty of fertilizer, and either compost or garden soil topped with a layer of gravel.
The lotus will probably survive but certainly not thrive nor bloom if it is just planted in gravel or Kitty litter.

My results speak for themselves as I do not see any other posts of blooming lotus on this forum. Try it that way and you WILL see blooms not just leaves

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When I was in China, I saw millions of Lotus. All these spread without the use of artificial fertilizers. Once they are started, they should be ok if your pond has a big enough fish load to provide nutrients.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
When I was in China, I saw millions of Lotus. All these spread without the use of artificial fertilizers. Once they are started, they should be ok if your pond has a big enough fish load to provide nutrients.

I agree

My experience is planting in a container with the recipe i described.
As far as planting in a pond...... I have only heard of good results in a mud-bottomed pond.
I would like to hear from someone who has gotten a lotus to bloom in a man-made pond without any additional fertilizer or enhanced planting medium of any sort.

I know that waterlilies will bloom in a man-made pond, planted in either gravel or nestled into rocks on the bottom, but I feel that planting in an enclosed container with compost and additional fertilizer results in more blooms in less time than just what is available from fish waste.
Last year ...in our short zone 5 season... we had many blooms on all our lilies, both hardy and tropicals culminating with one day in late August producing 52 blooms from 12 different plants

We don't have the benefit of a long growing season, so in order to maximize our lilies
(and Lotus) pontential, I think the method I use produces the most blooms in the shortest amount of time

Reaction score
Re: re potting lotus

I would not re pot until next year in the early spring. I'm told that if you break off the growing tips you will kill the tuber.

Initially I planted my lotus in a large tub and placed it inside the pond. My lower back gave me a pretty good chewing out after removing it from the pond for re-potting. I now keep the pot on my patio and my lower back has forgiven me for past transgressions. I wrap aluminum foil around the outside of the black vinyl pot because the plant was getting overheated from the sun shining on the sides. Some people just get those tub inserts and the outside tub prevents the overheating problem.

Ask a Question