Repotting

Reaction score
What's the general feel on repotting lilies and other plants in the pond in pots? How often should I pull them out and put new soil/kitty litter or rinse the rocks off? Once a year? Every few years?

Some I have in soil, some are in rocks only.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have mine in no soil now but think that is going to end cuz they did not produce well at all. When I had them in soil/kitty litter/rocks w/fertilizer in pots they did good. Just more of a pain to divide in media. I did mine every 3yrs at the most otherwise they are so big and wild. Some do it more often but I am lazy.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you've got 'em in pots, pull the pot and have a look. If you see roots growing over the rim or out of the holes, it might be time to divide.

I've seen entire bottoms of ponds covered in roots, with the pots embedded in the root mass. That's neglect.

Dividing often makes for a stronger, more vigorous plant. Don't try to save every little bit, you'll just overplant. If you don't need a portion of tuber, chuck it or give it away.

Depending on the species, the dividing time may vary. Judging from your pond, and location, I'm assuming you've got all tropicals rather than hardys.

More importantly, get in there once in a while and remove the dying pads and spent flowers before they sink to the bottom and start to decay.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a few that grow so well they need to be divided yearly, others can wait a two/three years.

Addy, how do you know when its time to divide? Do they just grow too well, start growing outside of the pot, or do they do the opposite and start growing less?

Mine sure did great in their first season. A lot of them have shot roots out of the bottom holes of the pots. Is that ok?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in solid pots, so what happens is the roots and tubers climb up and out of the pot. Then it seems the tuber out of the pot is where the best growing tip is. It has roots in the pot supporting that long tuber. This summer I did not get to mess around with them, so when I groomed them for the fall (dead leaves etc) I noticed some, that in the spring I will be cutting back. The root mass gets massive, heavy etc. When I see the tuber growing out of the pot by more than a few inches I wack it off, save the best looking tuber ship out any others if anybody wants them.

Ask a Question