Results from the 12th annual 2014 Dallas Tx. Koi show

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just spent this past weekend participating in the Dallas Koi show. This is the first year I actually competed in the show, my fourth year attending. What a spectacular weekend.
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 1.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 2.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 3.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 4.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 5.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 6.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 7.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 8.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 9.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 10.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 11.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 12.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 13.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 14.jpg
Dallas Koi show 2014 results 15.jpg

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Supreme Champion!!! What a knock out gorgeous Koi. This three year old fish was at the show last year, the growth over 1 year has been nothing short of phenomenal. Second year showing and a clean sweep for the major awards. BTW, these fish were not bought imported and shown. All his koi have been with him for at least 2-3 years. I talked with Danh for quite a while and all his koi were purchased as small fish with hopes of being competitive but not at huge prices. Fellow has one good eye for Koi and has done exceptionally well at keeping them.

Attachments

• DSC07031.JPG
    DSC07031.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 264

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing, Larkin! Will do my best to keep this weekend open next year! Hey, how are hotels about keeping fish in your room?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks everyone, Yes it's been a rough year and the rebound has had it's up's and downs but overall the new collection is coming together rather nicely. @Mmathis The Koi are first benched, which is they measure them and then place in their appropriate classes depending on what the show elects to award. Dallas show is rather large so they open up a few best of class but usually size is what starts the judging, Size 1 is the smallest, size 8 is the largest. Once the best of each size and class are picked then one fish from that class is picked to move to the final pick. So lets say size 1 best Shiro, size 1 best kohaku, size 1 best gin rin, then size 2 etc. To run for baby champion I had to go against size 1,2, and 3. total of 36 fish were in that size class. The best of all of those is then chosen for champion.
Maggie, some will allow fish in the rooms, but really no need to take them to a room, most vendors will move them to a sold tank if you don't enter them and hold them for the buyer until the end of the show.
@tbendl Yes three first and one champion out of the four I entered. The Ochiba and the Beni Kumonryu were purchased at the show. The Ochiba I actually asked the vendor to bring a few to the show and I picked the one I wanted to bring home and since it was going to come home I figured why not enter it? The breeder told me he was sending me the best three he had available and I told him that I was going to enter it. Guess we picked the right one. The Beni Kumonryu was in a tank of about 30 koi, I originally wanted the little size one Kujaku but while I was picking the Ochiba out Don Walker came over and grabbed the Kujaku. I hate I missed out on it but you snooze you lose at these events. Second choice was the Beni Kumonryu. I lost my other Beni Kumonryu and Ochiba Shigure in the accident this past spring and they both are some of my favorite varieties.
Here are some better pics of the five that ended up coming home with me. The Gin Rin Budo Goromo was so unique and was my favorite non-champion contending fish at the show. I was shocked that the owner and his wife wanted to re-home it and I made a offer before it went to the auction block. I got turned down. So I waited to bid on it and didn't bid on many other really nice fish hoping I could get it and maybe others would spend their budgets on larger fish. It worked and I picked it up for only $25 over my original offer. I am extremely happy with it and the price was well within my range.
DSC07051 (2).JPG
DSC07059 (2).JPG
DSC07066.JPG
DSC07072.JPG
DSC07078 (2).JPG
DSC07085 (2).JPG

Ask a Question