Reusable shopping bags for lilies?

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I see "grow bags" for planting flowers and veggies in. They basically amount to a plastic shopping bag if I am seeing correctly. I am trying to figure out how to pot my lilies this year. I'm gonna try my hand with kitty litter and see how that goes. I've been looking for BLACK dishpans, and have not been successful. I'm a tightwad, and I don't want to spend mega bucks. The dollar store has white, pink, blue dishpans, but no black. Anyhow, I ran across some of those reusable shopping bags at Big Lots the other day that were black. I am wondering if they would hold up, even if for only a season in the water. They are a fabric type bag, not the plastic one. It says they are made out of polypropylene. Then I ran across an article about some of these reusable bags containing lead, so maybe it's a no-no.

Anybody ever tried this? My lilies did great least summer, but they are in white hanging basket type pots, and they stick out like a sore thumb. Need something black and cheap. And lilies seem to like space for the roots to spread out. So wider is better than deeper.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sandy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just use walmart oil pans, 2 something in price.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, those shopping bags might just work, depending on how you suspended or supported them in the pond. Some of us are experimenting with growing lilies bare-root, and it seems some have had success doing this in the past. As with everything else, different methods. My lilies have only ever done so-so, so (that's a lot of so's) it can only get better from here.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bare-root-water-lilies.13962/

And yes, the WALLY-WORLD oil pans are great, perfect size, and they're black.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I followed Addy's lead and purchased oil pans at Walmart last week. I'll keep you posted how they do....love the shape, shallow and wide:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I followed Addy's lead and purchased oil pans at Walmart last week. I'll keep you posted how they do....love the shape, shallow and wide:)

Easy to hook with your toe (or a pole) and pull close enough to groom them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Joesandy; the Laguna plant bags seem to be the same material as the shopping bags we get around here, and they last at least three seasons. Give the bags a try, and let us know. As for the lead content, I doubt it would be a problem, since lead strips have long been used to keep 'bunch'-type plants together, and often wind up in the pond, with no ill effects.
John

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I use the black crates from Dollar general and line them with landscape fabric. It works pretty well.

Ask a Question