Rough spawning action

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
In the pond currently I got 3 big males who are chasing this poor ryukin constantly. I dragged her in today to rest for a bit. Seems like she and another ranchu are mainly the main females being chased.

You guys ever see anything bad happen from the rough spawning action?

Am I being too paranoid and should just put her back in the pond or is a few hours of break from the pond in a tank warranted?

She lost a lot of scales and I saw 3 of them squeeze her into the waterfall today.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen them jump out of the pond and seen them injured badly enough to kill them or leave them open for diseases

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have taken my little fantails out until spawning is over .They seem to go after the slower fish all the time .I would rather be safe than sorry .I always keep at least one of my stock tanks by my pond just for emergency use .I put one of my air stones from the pond in the tank .Seems my fantails have gotten used to this and love there vacation from the other fish .Resort living for them ,water lettuce and fairy moss for them in there stock tank :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Mmm.. I almost want to put some small holes in a small glass tank and sink it in the pond and put the fish in it to take a break.

Wonder if i can get a cage for the fish to put her in a cage in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know I made my neighbor one .I used a milk crate that I wrapped in window screening and tied a rope to it and it is sunk in the pond so that the other fish can't get over the top of it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine chase almost all summer, even see tiny fry as fall approaches.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not with my koi only with the fancy tails .The shubbies were the worst .Maybe that is why addy sees it all the time .I gave my shubbies away and only kept the fancy tail and my 2 koi and the fantails .Koi are lazy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
not with my koi only with the fancy tails .The shubbies were the worst .Maybe that is why addy sees it all the time .I gave my shubbies away and only kept the fancy tail and my 2 koi and the fantails .Koi are lazy

That's the major culprit, 2 big shubbies but the big oranda and male ranchu ain't no angels either.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my fat fantails just swim around wiggling there butts .I did not like the shubbies from the beginning but since they were only a dollar I bought them.The goldfish my neighbor has chase like crazy also . The fancy tails I have only chase each other at night .I can see them on the security camera .I think these old pics are of them .They also got bigger faster than my other fish.first pic of them both .They were 3 inch's long when I got them.I think they were mixed breeds that the koi farm wanted to get rid of .He said when I first got them that they were shubbies but then they got there barbels

Attachments

• pics on durecell back up 121.JPG
    pics on durecell back up 121.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 244
  • pics on durecell back up 122.JPG
    pics on durecell back up 122.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 258

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as conditions are right, Goldfish will spawn every thirty (30) days.
Mine "seem" to do it every other day................ but they eat a lot of the eggs or the tads do or the dragon fly larvae do, the pond does not get overwhelmed with fish.

Ask a Question