Run pump 24/7 or put on timer?

Reaction score
Does everyone seriously run their pump 24/7 or just certain times? If certain times, did you put it on a timer? And if so, how often do you run it?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have at least 2 pumps running 24/7 in my pond. I have had customers come by that lost all their fish in 4000 gallon ponds after only 4 hours of the pump off.

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
I run my filtration system 24/7 from mid-April through October. When oxygenated water stops flowing, beneficial bacteria in the filter begin dying almost immediately. Since these beneficial cultures take several weeks to develop, it's best to leave the filtration system running throughout the pond's active season. Also, ammonia levels in pond water can spike very quickly when pumps are turned off. If you see your fish at the surface gulping air, that's a sign that oxygen levels have dropped, and ammonia may have risen to toxic levels.

Using a separate pump, I run a skimmer 24 hours a day, all year long. In the winter the skimmer moves just enough water to keep the pond surface from totally freezing.

Reaction score
I run my pump 24/7. If you have a waterfall or stream there is alot of beneficial bacteria living in the them that would die if allowed to dry out. I also rinse all of filter pads in pond water to minimize bacteria lose. Not to mention the oxygen lose without a pump running.

Reaction score
I have three pumps soon to be 4 on mine run them 24/7 and the one on filter runs all year. Then I have air running into it as well that goes around the clock all year.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
In nature a stream either runs year round, or it dries up in thr summer months. That is if you don't live some place like Texas where dry river beds are caused by flash floods.

In a man made pond without a natural source of water flow, you need the constant flow of water to create a good balance for life in a pond.

Ask a Question