Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Those sure are pretty, but I wonder (as the article relates) if they will keep that color or not over time. My guess would be no, but man if they did, they would sure be striking! Also, FYI, nothing is "free". LOL Shipping is figured into their price. So, shipping is minimally $35 so that means each of those koi are about $65 for the fish. That's pretty steep, IMO, for a koi. If you are looking for something really outstanding, that may be it for you, not sure. There are soooo many neat colors and patterns of koi out there that are known color patterns, I think I would invest that much money in a koi that I knew in a year or two would still look like what I bought. Keep us posted if you get one, and how it does!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, what I really want is a chagoi, but am not sure I can afford one from a reputable fish farm. I've never paid much for my koi, I think like $15, but it's been so many years ago. I figured I might have one "splurge" koi, for around $100 at most. You make a very good point about knowing the koi will look the same in a few years, as when it was purchased. Guess I'll keep looking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tula your best bet is to drive on out to a koi dealership get to look at all the varieties of which the Saphire koi certainly isnt its a in our eyes secnd rate blue Shusui .
There are twelve varieties
1) Kuhaku ....Red and White
2) Showa......Black red white
3) Sanke ......White red black
4) Utrusi ......Black white
5) Bekko.......White black
6) Shusui/asagi... Blue through to red/red underside blue top
7) Tancho........... white with red spot on forhead
8 ) Kin Gin Rin...... Diamond scaled
9) Koromo/Goromo..... red and whitewith blackmarkings on red
10) Kawaimono ....Single coloured fish
11) Hikarimuji........... single coloured metalic
12) Hikarimoyo......Metalic koi more than one colour
As you can see the saphire koi is nowhere amongst them and this is just a very slick marketing ploy by the place involoved .
Most koi dealerships are rightly proud of their koi , the breeders they buy them from and dont have to turn to things like this [Slick Marketing].
So your best bet is to shop around other Koi Dealerships seek out other koi keepers ask of dealerships in your area that are good and they will also tell you the bad and who to aviod .
That way you'll find that you can buy a good quality koi from whoever they recomend most highly, you'll soon get to know the good ones from the bad ones .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula your best bet is to drive on out to a koi dealership get to look at all the varieties of which the Saphire koi certainly isnt its a in our eyes secnd rate blue Shusui .
There are twelve varieties
1) Kuhaku ....Red and White
2) Showa......Black red white
3) Sanke ......White red black
4) Utrusi ......Black white
5) Bekko.......White black
6) Shusui/asagi... Blue through to red/red underside blue top
7) Tancho........... white with red spot on forhead
8 ) Kin Gin Rin...... Diamond scaled
9) Koromo/Goromo..... red and whitewith blackmarkings on red
10) Kawaimono ....Single coloured fish
11) Hikarimuji........... single coloured metalic
12) Hikarimoyo......Metalic koi more than one colour
As you can see the saphire koi is nowhere amongst them and this is just a very slick marketing ploy by the place involoved .
Most koi dealerships are rightly proud of their koi , the breeders they buy them from and dont have to turn to things like this [Slick Marketing].
So your best bet is to shop around other Koi Dealerships seek out other koi keepers ask of dealerships in your area that are good and they will also tell you the bad and who to aviod .
That way you'll find that you can buy a good quality koi from whoever they recomend most highly, you'll soon get to know the good ones from the bad ones .

Dave
Dave,
I would LOVE to visit a koi dealership / koi farm, but there aren't ny in my area. I spent a good deal of time speaking with the folks at the fish hatchery and they suggested a reputable dealer....but they're in Florida and the other one is several states away. With this information, I'm trying to learn how I could purchase a koi? There are no koi clubs in my area either :(

I've decided against this purchase, but will keep looking. I'd really prefer a chagoi, but not sure how to find one and if I can afford it....perhaps a wee one ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
The "Sapphire" koi do look interesting, but I agree with some of the skepticism around them (and the price). I also STRONGLY agree that you should hold out for a Chagoi. They are just so delightful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tula we have an Olive skinned Chagoi in our pond but Ochibas have that same laid back attitude that the Chagoi has plus it grows to a large size itself would you consider ine if those as a second choice of koi should you not be able to get a Chagoi?
CNote as you know has just bought one and we a short while ago won one :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula we have an Olive skinned Chagoi in our pond but Ochibas have that same laid back attitude that the Chagoi has plus it grows to a large size itself would you consider ine if those as a second choice of koi should you not be able to get a Chagoi?
CNote as you know has just bought one and we a short while ago won one :happy:

Dave
I will consider an Ochibas and appreciate your bringing it to my attention :) I've learned of a koi / gold fish auction being held 70 miles away in June by a koi / goldfish club. It's being held on the grounds of a large water garden place and they're also having a water lilly sale. I really want to go, if I'm not out of town.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, those blue koi are so pretty! I wish I want to have koi in my pond. I want koi, but I dont think I can take care of them :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Get some blue toned shubunkins, they are gorgeous and hold the color.
I have the 'blue' one that they called blue sky.. more silver than blue though, but they are sure pretty :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I will consider an Ochibas and appreciate your bringing it to my attention :) I've learned of a koi / gold fish auction being held 70 miles away in June by a koi / goldfish club. It's being held on the grounds of a large water garden place and they're also having a water lilly sale. I really want to go, if I'm not out of town.
Auctions at fish shows are a perfect way of buying koi equipment books etc.
We bought a good porportion of our books ar Auction and most of our tropical fish when we kept them , I feel sure that if they are auctioning koi there will be one or two Chagio and Ochibas to be had .
Here in the UK we also have a guest dealership , you may find its the same sort of set up at US shows and there is a guest dealer

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess I am too cheap, nice fish, but I would never pay that much for one. I like my 2.50 fish.................

Ask a Question