Second year pond owner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone.

Glad to be here. This is the second year of running a pond. My fish are scared, my water's murky and I've had string algae. From the day I put the fish in, they have not been crazy about food. They appear healthy and (knock wood) we only lost one that got caught in the skimmer.

I have a feeling I am "fiddling" too much. I often go to my pond and use the skimmer to get some of the algae out. I use barley straw and beneficial bacteria. I have lots of aeration and try to not use any harsh chemicals.

I LOVE water gardening. My father has ginormous koi and he got me started. I hope I can get my fish to come around. Mostly, I'm glad to join a forum with other Pond peeps.

Kathleen

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Fiddle away and have fun doing it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How big a pond a how big are the fish .You may be feeding them to much but some algae is OK .It seems to be a theme here that we are always doing something with our ponds .We go a little pond nuts :)But not me ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do you have a lot of surface water exposed to sunlight? Need to reduce that with plants and lily pads or huge plant leaves.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have my pond in almost all sun all day and use a shade hoop house and the bridge over the pond to help shade it .Can't keep plants my koi destroy them .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
At only 2 years old your pond isn't mature yet. You can expect algae,the fish don't mind it. If the fish aren't hungry then there is something off about your water,koi and goldfish are absolute pigs. Tell us more about your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine got merky green and I got a UVlight. In three days it was crystal clear. If your pond is full sun they won't come up much. You should test the water toi

Ask a Question