Seine net

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone made their own seine net? I need to catch a bunch of my fish and I want to do it without draining the pond. It's ~7500gallons and over 5' deep.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@mrsclem She catches hers by using a food trap. A container closed on all sides except one, drops some food in it, waits until a lot swim in yank and a rope and put the open side up in the air.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@mrsclem She catches hers by using a food trap. A container closed on all sides except one, drops some food in it, waits until a lot swim in yank and a rope and put the open side up in the air.

So clever! I'm going to try that on my goldfish! I can practically catch anyone of my koi with my barehands, but those goldfish can read my mind! If I'm scooping leaves they swim in and out of the net like it's their favorite place in the world, but the minute I get serious about catching them, they all become little Olympic swimmers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
So clever! I'm going to try that on my goldfish! I can practically catch anyone of my koi with my barehands, but those goldfish can read my mind! If I'm scooping leaves they swim in and out of the net like it's their favorite place in the world, but the minute I get serious about catching them, they all become little Olympic swimmers.
Lol thts funy but gf are slowest of all! Iwill tell u never put chiclid in a pond , u can never catch thrm again ,they r so fast and good in hiding and staying there until ur gone, once i added few , they started biting buterfly's tail then it was hell to catch them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I am trying to picture this trap that @mrsclem , uses? I need to catch a few and the little devils are so fast and even jump, when I get close to catching them. I'd really like to not drain the pond so low.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
For small fish, a minnow trap should work. Something similar, but larger should work for others, but you would have to build it. I would think it would be pretty simple. Walmart has both minnow and crawfish traps that are around $20 or less.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am trying to picture this trap that @mrsclem , uses? I need to catch a few and the little devils are so fast and even jump, when I get close to catching them. I'd really like to not drain the pond so low.
She posted about it in here somewhere. She made a frame with pvc, covered it with netting, one side is open. Drop fish food in the fish swim in, get used to it, when you have a good amount in the trap yank on the rope that lifts the open side up to the surface, the fish are trapped. I think that is what I remember that she did.
(disclamers!)

Found it

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/catching-fish.19031/page-2#post-302559

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
She posted about it in here somewhere. She made a frame with pvc, covered it with netting, one side is open. Drop fish food in the fish swim in, get used to it, when you have a good amount in the trap yank on the rope that lifts the open side up to the surface, the fish are trapped. I think that is what I remember that she did.
(disclamers!)

Found it

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/catching-fish.19031/page-2#post-302559
Thanks Addy. I've been studying the picture and wonder which side she left open? Maybe it's submerged in this picture?

I think I could build a smaller one, there koi are so smart and fast....won't come anywhere near the net!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
See the rope the opening is facing the picture, fish swim in yank on rope top now faces air.
Capture.JPG

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-29_18-17-58.png
    upload_2016-7-29_18-17-58.png
    304.1 KB · Views: 263
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@addy1 , Thank you, thanks to your red arrow, I figured it out! I was working on the pond this evening, till a storm rolled in and can't believe how big the one year old koi are getting.....I'll wait for a break in this heat and try this :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
20160426_125207.jpg

here is a picture of the rebuilt fish trap. I had to change out the netting so I could catch the smaller fish. Pvc box covered on all sides but one. Put it in the pond with the open side on one side.
Sorry the pic is so large. Had to transfer it via email from my cell.

Ask a Question