Self-sustaining ponds

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No such thing as a natural back yard pond that is self sustainable without some mechanical & people intervention in my humble opinion.

Although you can get a really nice almost carefree pond if set up proper with a large marsh area to help clean pond and a good pump and filter. ...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going off his definition. Just a pump, no other filtration except a bog. LOL So yeah, almost carefree, if only I'd quit throwing giant planters full of kitty litter it'd be a lot easier. :rolleyes::D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our pond is essentially self-sustaining. We use only bog filtration, no skimmer, no mechanical filtration. Pump and waterfall. That's it. There's very little that we HAVE to do, just things that we LIKE to do. We keep our fish load low and feed our fish with a light hand - let them keep their own house clean!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Nice to hear from you, Lisak! Thanks for sharing. I've had a very small pond, just about 90 gallons, for about 12 years. No filtration, I only added a pump this past summer. I'd gotten distracted with life and the plants in the pond died off. Summer rolled around and the fish (four goldfish) were short of oxygen. So I raced off to town and got a pump but for the life of me, I could find only one bunch of oxygenating plants! But I had a pond for all those years with a few happy fish (except when the raccoons came to call) with no pump and no filtration. A couple of times the water got green and I replaced some with fresh water. Earlier this year the water was cloudy and I put in some barley and it is clear as could be now.

Now I am looking at replacing my little pond with a much bigger one and the landscape designer whose help I am happy to have has a bit of a passion for ponds and has five on his own property, all self-sustaining. Guess there is a range of what that means, but for him, it means a balanced pond without filtration, a pump if you want moving water, fish for sure.... I think the planting is important.

There is a fellow here who sells pumps and such and he is insistent that I need a biofilter, but you know, my fish have done fine for 12 years, if I mind the plants and the raccoons stay away.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it all comes down to what works for you. I have seen every variety of pond on this site and all manner of filtration, pump, drains, designs, skimmers, etc. stocked with all kinds of fish, plants, turtles, toads, and frogs.
And if he sells them, I'm sure he is insistent...lol
Do what works for you, then if it doesn't work, tweak it and keep tweaking it until it does work for you. I know for me that has been half the fun.

Ask a Question