September GF fry!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found 3 teeny baby fish yesterday -- they look to be just a few days to a week past the "yolk" stage [this, going by the size & appearance of fry I raised this past spring....].

They were not close to plants or any other form of cover, but were around the outflow from the Skippy, so I'm wondering if they [or the eggs] were sucked into the filter and deposited where I found them........

I have no plans to "raise" them like I did the ones I did over the spring, as that at was just too much work. But I don't want to put them back in the pond as fish food -- they at least deserve a fighting chance to grow out just a little more. So, a few questions.......

1. With the weather gradually cooling, what are their chances of survival if left in the pond.....
  2. If they were in a "fry cage," would that help their chances any [in the pond]?
  3. Or, what if I put them in the indoor tank, but put them in one of those "breeding/fry cages" for aquariums to protect them from being sucked into the filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Could you put a fine mesh screen over the outflow of the skippy and leave them in the skippy?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So you actually found them in the pond but near the skippy but the other fish are in that pond too? I just leave my teensy ones in the pond and some make it and some don't. You could put a floating screened ring in there and let them be in there till they get to maybe an inch or so in size. Then they should be safe. My teensy ones seem to be able to survive in the plants I have in my pond. This year tho I have not seen a one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not sure how the babies will do with our temps getting colder but good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
How old are your fish and ponds? Approx. I'm so excited to have babies!!! My pond and fish are around 8 months.
This is the second year of my pond. The fish Daddy is about 1 1/2 years old, and the fish Mommy is about 3 years old. We didn't have any babies last year, so I'm really enjoying seeing the babies this year--especially because they "magically" appear in the floating planters. : )

I'm going to keep the babies in the pond and hope they do okay. They're safe from getting eaten at least.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It dawned on me that I won't be home this w/end [Boy Scout camp out] to tend to these tiny fry -- and I don't want to put that off on Hubby. So I suspended a coffee filter [the metal kind] into the pond water, supported by styrofoam. It's not the best solution, but it's all I have at the moment. It should be stable there, unless the fish get wild and decide to bump it a lot. There will be water flow through the filter, and I put it in a shady spot with some hornwort inside. I also scraped off some algae and put it in for them. We can continue the feedings with Hikari First Bites as well -- Hubby can handle that for me. If they're still with us when I get back Sunday, I'll look into some other type of temp. "cage."

Ask a Question