Should I add goldfish (or koi) to my pond?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a petite pond. I don't know the exact dimensions and I'm on a trip so I can't figure that out...but I estimate that it is 2-3 feet deep in the deepest part. It's a triangle shape - the long edge is maybe 7 feet and the short ends are probably 4 feet. That's probably completely inaccurate, but I'm doing this from memory. My pump pumps 400GPH. I have a bunch of plants and just added water hyacinths so there's lots and lots of shade.

One reason I'd like to add fish is to keep the snail population in check, because right now they have no predators. I just found well over 10 snail egg pods/sacks. Fish would also of course add some interest and beauty to the pond. My one concern is that my parents (I built them this pond) are not going to be able to take care of them when my sister moves out in a few years. Not because they are incapable, but because I'm worried they won't care enough about the fish.

Anyway, what do you think? Is my pond even suitable for a few fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no koi .agree 100% my koi are 2 ft long now .Had my aggie jump out today after a large toad jumped from the bridge and freaked her out and lucky i was there and got her picked up and put in the stock tank to check for injuries .I have never had aggie do this before .Mind you toad is now 3 miles away after i caught him.yeh fat fantails slow and pretty and do not breed as fast

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gold fish, but not koi! But don't count on their reducing the snail population. They might, but mine don't eat them unless I deliberately toss one in the water when they're hanging around.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
okay. so definitely no koi! i was thinking goldfish. my aunt suggested i get some goldfish after i told her about all the snails. she said they like snail eggs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my aggie and bert and my fantail olive oil at least I think it is a pic of her .They are nice and slow and fun to watch .I call them butt wigglers because that is how they swim can't find a good pic sorry

Attachments

• 7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 015.JPG
    7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 015.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 248
  • 7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 010.JPG
    7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 010.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 014.JPG
    7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 014.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
my aggie and bert and my fantail olive oil at least I think it is a pic of her .They are nice and slow and fun to watch .I call them butt wigglers because that is how they swim can't find a good pic sorry
Is that a fantail in the first pic?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would suggest comets or shubunkins. These are both kinds of goldfish. You can get a few nice fish for $5 or less. I would stay away from feeder fish that typically sell for under $1 because they carry a lot of diseases. You don't want koi because it is way more work to keep their water clean and they will quickly outgrow your pond. Good luck!

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do want goldfish that can survive winter and an iced over pond.

Ask a Question