Should I quarantine PetsMart's Comet fish before I put them in my pond?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There are only 2 fish sellign shops near me. One was PetsMart and the other place a small store.

The small store had their fish outside, in above ground stock tanks, shaded a little bit, no filtration, pumps were not always working, and dead fish floating and on the bottom. Think I am NOT going to buy my fish from this place.

However, PetsMart looks to keep their tanks very well circulated. A clerk told me that the water is constantly being recycled so the same water is not in the fish tanks for long. I was curious about this since they obviously overstock their aquariums and there was not a single looking unhealthy fish and no dead fish. Their Comet goldfish look like they are in very good shape.

Should I still need to quarantine the fish before puting them into my pond?

I've heard this should be done in a smaller tank for 2 weeks, giving them a little salt in the quarantine tank and some medicated food, before introducing them to a pond but ... Should I really have to do that to these fish ??

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ts always wise to quarentine fish before introducing them into a pond thats already stocked. 3 weeks is usually plenty. i have introduced fish without quarentining them, and never had a problem. but you never know.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've been reading alot of Dr. Johnson stuff and he mentioned putting some salt and feeding them medicated food for the quarantine duration.

Is this what is done or should more be done during quarantine??

Reaction score
I've always lost about 50% of feeder goldfish in the first week. I'd buy in batches of about 50 at a time if there were good fish. Once the feeders were all nice Shubunkin and I got 50 ($2.50). After sleeping on it I went back the next day to buy a few hundred more and the tank was empty...all had died.

50% of mine died too, but after that all was good and I had some nice fish. So I quarantine, but I never treated for anything as that was more than I cared to do. Not saying that's a good idea, just that I'm lazy.

Some good tips imo.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
That's one of those things I know I should do and never have, but i will kick myself in the arse someday right after it bites me in the arse :) I buy a new fish.... and i just want to see him swimming around in the pond when i get home.

I would be a little more weary if i was adding regular feeder fish though, I initially stocked with feeders and probably half of them died in the first week, petsmart does not take great care of those fish, and you seriously must have come right after someone netted the tank if there wasn't a single dead one in there. I buy a lot of feeders for my aquarium fish inside the house, and i don't think I've ever gone there without seeing dead ones.

Like i said, i initially stocked the pond with feeders, and since then have only added one or two koi at a time, so I'm not quite as worried, Petsmarts koi are usually in better living conditions than thier goldfish.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
1- always quarentine, exspecially when it from tanks where fish are moved in and out on a regular basis. Even if that batch is healthy the batch before that could have left something behind WE can not see. 2 medicate only when you need to treat. There is no prevenative medication. There are products that are designed to spray on food that will help build up a fish immunity system and help provide internal bacteria that are helpful to the digestive system. But these foods aren't considered medicated foods. 3 you want to keep new fish seperated from the rest of your group for three to four weeks minimal, Not only does this mean the fish but nets, bowls, and anything else that comes in contact with them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got my bathtub pond set up now w/ some plants and an air stone and a bubble fountain so going to use that as the quarantine for the Shubunkins I'm looking for again. 2 out of the 6 I bought last yr made it and I had just put them in the pond w/ no quarantine. No way to keep track that way if they are failing or not so tub it is this time! Also then if some don't make it in the warranty time you can take them back for a trade or refund.

Ask a Question